Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Departure Card

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I can't remember being given a departure card to keep when I entered Vietnam (I came overland from Kep to Ha Tien) though even if I was handed one, I've lost it. I'm just wondering if this is going to cause any problems when I fly from Hanoi to Laos?

#1 Posted: 15/5/2009 - 17:09

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I had a similar experience in March of this year. I was given a card of some sort along with my visa at the airport in Hanoi. I destroyed it because I didn't think I needed it (and I always try to keep myself free of unneeded papers and such - I tend to be so disorganized). Well, it all turned out ok! At the airport I was asked for this card, but I told them the truth, and they didn't make a big deal out of it and left me board my flight to Korea. The thing is that when I went to Vietnam in 2008, no one asked for anything other than my passport when I came back, so I just assumed it was not necessary. I've discovered that rules/regulations in Vietnam are often ignored/overlooked. Have a great trip - it's a super friendly country.

#2 Posted: 16/5/2009 - 01:50

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

TheGoose

I had a similar experience to daawgon, and merely told the departure people at the airport "I'm sorry I must have lost it".

I've also had the same experience in Malaysia.

I think the departure card merely makes the immigration officer's administrative record-keeping on the computer quicker.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 16/5/2009 - 04:41

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Cheers for that! :)

#4 Posted: 16/5/2009 - 14:25

• anhluc

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2009

Do you want to avoid any anxiety? When you are checking in at the airport - ask the people at the ticket counter to give you a new one to fill out. Worked for my wife and I last month and we avoided any explanations or funny looks.

#5 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 12:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.