Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Short notice booking of internal flights and hotels

Posted by laallee on 16/5/2009 at 18:07

hi, we are going to vnn in july, we do not want to be stuck with a fixed plan so we would prefer to book flights and hotels at a maximum 48 hrs notice. is this workable?
thanks, lee.

#1 laallee has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 46

Posted by daawgon on 16/5/2009 at 23:05

You'll have no problems - be sure to check out rooms B4 you hand over your passport

last trip I prebooked most everything and was sorry I did

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by chrispyrolls on 17/5/2009 at 04:54

You should be ok in July, this might be an issue during peak season mind - perhaps consider booking your first couple of nights tho, especially if landing in Hanoi (read the TF story on taxi related issues in Hanoi) - if not for any other reason than after a long flight (assuming you will have one) it's good to get picked up at the airport and taken to your bed..

...all hotels will be able to book onward travel for you ... or there are plenty of Agents as well, have a great trip

#3 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by TheGoose on 17/5/2009 at 11:03

Posted from within Vietnam.

Booking of flights is easy as well. Some friends booked a flight at 6pm yesterday from Hanoi and they're flying to Saigon this morning!

#4 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by laallee on 17/5/2009 at 16:51

Thanks for all your help,
Lee.

#5 laallee has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 46

Posted by anhluc on 18/5/2009 at 11:54

As mentioned it all depends on availability. Yes I have tried to fly, even scheduling out several days/weeks and seats were not available. I like the 'seat of your pants' way to travel, especially in Viet Nam where the weather is so different from north to south. Fly to Sai Gon, too hot, go to Ha Noi.

Though you want to wait to book, I would at least suggest doing your homework and having a good idea of rates for flights, hotels, taxis etc. I would also suggest contacting a tour operator and putting together a loose and informal itinerary and having them give you some bids so that you know the right price to pay. Internet travel booking sights have caused us to push aside the travel agent - but I'll tell you, knowing a good tour operator in Viet Nam will save you time, money and hassle. I used one last month for the first time, my fourth time to Viet Nam in three years, and I really am glad I did.

Also, as #2 advised check out your room before you check-in. It is an unoffensive practice, and the reputable hotels will happily show you what they have to offer no matter what their star rating is.

#6 anhluc has been a member since 15/5/2009. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.