Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Booking of Halong Bay Tours

• limdq

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2009

Hi guys!!

I have read posts on which tour operators to get and such, but i was wondering the time at which the tour operators close.

I am arriving in Hanoi @ 2035hrs. By the time i get to the city it would be around 2200 hrs.

Would it still be possible to get a 2D/1N tour of Halong Bay booked for the following morning? (I know I'm a bit hopeful here.)

I don't want to book online as the rates are really really ridiculous.

Alternatively, i was thinking of travelling to Halong City itself early the next day to book a tour there. Comments?

I arrive on the 11th, and only have the 12th and 13th of June for Hanoi as i will be flying off to Nha Trang at 1330hrs on the 14th.

cheers!

#1 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 14:26

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

limdq

Halong bay tours are a gov't money earner. Whichever tour you go with, there are 3 financial aspects:

1. the money the gov't charges the tour company to enter Halong Bay,
    2. the profit the tour company wants, and
    3. the profit the travel agency wants to sell you the tour.

If you know what you want, find the actual tour operator (not the travel agent), and contact online. The price you'll be offered will be full price (possibly without travel agency profit). But, arriving at their office first up in the am (eg. 7:30 to 8:00am) or calling them at that time may get you a cheaper ticket.

Anyway, is June a good time to see Halong Bay???

Check out the weather at:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=hanoi,%20vietnam&wuSelect=WEATHER

cheers

#2 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 09:16

• stirr

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Limdq,
    We just went on a Ha Long Bay tour 2d/1n with Vega travel- the office closes at 7pm we booked at 6.30 pm the night before Very highly recomended only 8 people on the boat amazing guide ! enough food to sink a ship Delivered what they promised..

#3 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 17:17

• limdq

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2009

@ brucemoon: Thanks for the info. I think i will either contact the tour operator online or turn up first thing in the morning to book a tour.

I know june isn't a good time to visit Hanoi , but i only have this time window. I'll be going on to Nha Trang (less rain there, i checked) followed by HCM, so it should be fun!

@ Stirr, I only arrive at Hanoi airport @ 835pm. Thats way past their operating hours. Btw, how much did you pay?

Thank you all for your answers! =)

#4 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 21:26

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

limq

I'd read about the various offerings for Halong Bay and for my first trip wanted to do a 2 nighter, and stay away from the huge crowd of boats that is the 'budget' option. I also wanted not to stay (then) at Cat Ba.

My only options were high end cruises. I chose Columbus. I was indeed very happy with Columbus. Since, many people have raved over the quality of Columbus tours. Go to:

http://www.columbuscruise.com

Also, did you check out:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/500_some-real-questions-about-halong-bay

The last contributor to that blog talks about a 2 day 1 night with Columbus.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 06:26

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Hi Limq, I've very pleasant experience emailing Columbus Travel over the past 10 days for the trip.

I think you should not worry too much about payment. I just noticed Columbus' new offer at http://www.columbuscruise.com/booking-2#booking-by-phone

Happy travels.

#6 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 10:55

• stirr

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2009

Hi again,
    Went and spoke to the guys at Vega Travel they said they would be open till 9pm -9.30pm ! Our tour cost $72us
    Happy Travels
    Stirr

#7 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 18:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.