Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Advice Laos to Vietnam

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hi,

I'm off to Thailand and Laos in July and wanted some advice on the best way to get to Vietnam from Laos and where to go in Vietnam.

Would it be best getting a flight, and if so which airline?

I don't want to spend too long there but would like to see some of the old war sites and the tunnels they used to build.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Ben

#1 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 21:33

• Advertisement

• kkkookie

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

i just flew from luang prabang to hanoi through vietnam airline today. it's only an hour flight. lao airline also offer the same flight. i have actually booked my flight with lao airline but they cancel their flight last minute ( there were only 7 of us booked on it) but were able to rebook me with vietnam airline leaving on the same day.

michelle
    http://kkkookie.blogspot.com/

#2 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 22:27

• kkkookie

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2009

i just flew from luang prabang to hanoi through vietnam airline today. it's only an hour flight. lao airline also offer the same flight. i have actually booked my flight with lao airline but they cancel their flight last minute ( there were only 7 of us booked on it) but were able to rebook me with vietnam airline leaving on the same day.

michelle
    http://kkkookie.blogspot.com/

#3 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 22:27

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Thanks Michelle,

Do you have the website for Vietnam Airlines - I can't get it in english!

And how much did you pay for your flight if you don't mind me asking?

#4 Posted: 6/6/2009 - 22:52

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ben

You don't say where you'll be departing Laos, or whether you want land or air as a crossing method.

Also, if you are into physical war relics, they really only exist in the south (tho there are a couple of OK museums in Hanoi).

So, if air:

Luang Prabang to Saigon: Bangkok Airlines, Lao Airlines or Vietnam Airlines. Posted price about US$470.

Vientiane to Saigon: Many airlines (including above), starting from US$500.

Neither Laos Air or Vietnam Airlines websites are geared for international use. On this, try a travel agent in your home country.

- - - -

I'd help you if you want to consider overland travel. But, first check out what Travelfish has to say (use the google box in the grey section above to get ideas). Then, seek answers to specific questions.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 07:15

• eml924

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

hey,

ive been reading a fair bit of info about going from laos to vietnam. because im doing the same trip soon. at first i wanted to go to the north (halong bay), but there seamed to be more options to do in the south (mekong delta, war history).

so im getting a flight with air asia back to bangkok then from bangkok to ho chi minh. it works out heaps cheap. ive got to catch a bus from the capital of laos to udon thani in the north of thailand, but this is only an hour or two.

its seams like the cheapest and most logical way to get from vietnam from laos.

i was looking at flights the other day from udon thani to bangkok which were around $15AU and another $30AU from bangkok to ho chi minh.

air asia flights are by fair the cheapest airline company and i think an hour on a couple of planes beats several hours on a bus.

cheers

#6 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 09:37

• benhopes

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hi,

I will probably be travelling from Luang Prabang. There is no way Im paying 500 dollars for a flight to Ho Chi. That is far too expensive. I might do the fly to Bangkok then fly to Vietnam route.

thanks

Ben

#7 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 14:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Ben
    There are some variables here that are missing in your post:

1. Where is your jumping off point? There are only two ways to get to Vietnam from Laos - Bus or Plane (I suppose boat is possible, but not realistic). If you are already in the Northeast of Thailand (say Ubon Rathathani or Mukdahan or Nakhon Phanom) then you might want to just cross the border to Savankhet and begin there. The secret war in Laos was fought partially out of there and Paxse - getting to Long tieng is painful bus ride, but also if you've Read Christopher Robbins' book Ravens worth going there. Crossing to Vietnam by bus from Savanakhet takes forever, but it's pretty cheap (however, if you had not planned to go to Laos at all, then you have to factor the visa (35 USD) to Laos as an additional cost.

As cities go, Savanakhet is poor and broken down, but it does have a certain charm. Some people do like it. Worth seeing.

Once you go from there to Hue, you can begin to look at Vietnam war sites.

Flying, either to Hanoi or Saigon, is certainly quicker and more comfortable, but you won't catch the scenery you will be the hot and sweaty bus.

#8 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 14:15

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ben

I went from LP to Hanoi in April (by boat & bus). It was far cheaper than by air, but needed 5 days of travel.

Wonderfully adventurous, and scenic too.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 14:43

• kkkookie

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2009

hey ben,

i got my tickets through bangkok airways - discovery pass.
    http://www.bangkokair.com/airpass/index.php?lang=en

i did 3 segments with them, chiang mai to luang prabang, luang prabang to hanoi, and siem reap to bangkok. there were each 100 US plus tax.

if you were to purchase it separately, then i believe the flight from luang prabang to hanoi should be around 120 US.
    hope this helps.

michelle

#10 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 20:35

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.