Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Advice for family -Halong Bay tour in August

• happytravel-
    ler03

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009

We (2 adults, 2 children 5 and 13) are going to be in Hanoi in early August and would love to do a 2day/1night tour to Halong Bay.

Am I best booking direct with a tour operator and not through a possibly doggy travel agent?

If so, any recommendations of who to use?

Preferably not a budget operator as I would prefer to pay extra for less hassle and a better chance of enjoying the experience.

Also any operators who go to the less crowded parts of the area, if that is possible.

The kayaking and visit to a floating village sound fun.

#1 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 05:51

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

happytraveller03

Up on the left of the grey area, there is a 'Search Travelfish' box. If you type in a question, you'll get dozens of associated Travelfish discussion pages. In the case of Halong Bay, there will be many many more pages. I suggest you do that, and read what has already been written.

- - - -

Personally? I'd read about the various offerings for Halong Bay and for my first trip wanted to do a 2 nighter, and stay away from the huge crowd of boats that is the 'budget' option. I also wanted not to stay (then) at Cat Ba.

My only options were high end cruises. I chose Columbus. I was indeed very happy with Columbus. I also note that many other contributors to Travelfish have also raved over the quality of Columbus tours. Go to:

http://www.columbuscruise.com

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 06:48

• lotramar

Click here to learn more about lotramar
    Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are so many local tour operators offering trips to Halong Bay. That is not easy to know who is the leading :) Why don't you try to contact some tour operators advertising on travelfish.org

#3 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 23:24

• largie

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2009

Happytraveller3.... we too are a family of 4 with 2 very young kids heading to Halong Bay in August. I have been doing some research for the holiday and like you would like to avoid the budget end on the market. Columbus looks pretty good, but on the expensive end! you get what you pay for i suppose.Also look at Tropical Sails,and I Travel. If you canb find a company who actually own their own boats it would help. You miss the onselling which goes on with smaller Travel agents. All the best with you trip and i would love to hear how you go. We dont arrive in Vietnam until late August but if you find something you recommend i would love to hear about it.
    davin.large@gmail.com

#4 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 11:03

• happytravel-
    ler03

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009

We come back home by 10 August so I will let you know.

I emailed someone directly who has recently been to Halong Bay and they recommended the Pinta Gold (Columbus). Yes, I think you get what you pay for and with young kids, we don't want to risk trying any of the budget options.

#5 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 18:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Halong 2D/1N tour for family in August ... By happytraveller03 on 9 Jun 2009 2 2195 9 Jun 2009