Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

The halong bay tour, what time do you get back?

• themeag

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2009

Hello,

i'm just in the process of booking my flight from Hanoi to leung prabang. But i'm not sure if i were to book a 3 day tour of Halong bay, what time i would get back on the third day, as the flight i'm looking at leaves at 18.25. Would this be late enough or am i pushing it! any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stevie

#1 Posted: 15/6/2009 - 22:20

• Advertisement

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Why not just ask the tour agency? Except don't tell him you have a plane to catch. Just say you're curious.

Sounds to me like you're pushing it though.

There's a lunch stop, slow ride back to Hanoi, then slow ride to the airport where you'll have to check in 2h before international departure.
    I've been on a Halong Bay tour twice and both times we were held up in traffic going back. Nothing to do with the tour operators. First time there was a traffic jam caused by a truck accident. Second time was due to heavy rains which required a detour around flooded roads.

Try to get a later flight if you can.

#2 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 01:05

• themeag

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2009

Thanks for your quick reply, but i've not booked the tour yet i am going to wait until i reach Hanoi. Please could you give a roughish times that you got back from your trips.

Cheers

Stevie

#3 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 02:25

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

I really cant remember the time I got back to Hanoi. All I recall was that it was still daylight. It must have been late afternoon. This was after all the delays.

My priority would be on the tour and not the flight. You may not come back to Vietnam for a long time. Don't leave regretting not seeing Halong Bay.

When time margins are slim, any small thing can ruin your schedule. I would book the tour and get a later flight.

#4 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 15:23

• alex16103

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

When I went on a tour the other week we got back about 6.30, there was a fair bit a traffic though.

It does give you time to catch the overnight train to Sapa the same night though, which we did; in case you fancied spening a day there.

Alex

#5 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 18:23

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Stevie

If everything goes fine, it's about a 4 hour road trip. But, for time, this is Vietnam, not Japan.

Most boats 'swap' passengers around lunchtime. So, passengers off around midday, passengers on around 12:30.

And, it also depends on the day you arrive back in HaNoi. Some days are worse than others for traffic, and late afternoon is always rush time.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 19:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.