Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Trains Hue-Hanoi sold out in august? Please help

• muggel

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

In a german Vietnam forum, somebody told, that there are now "free" tickets for august, only tickets from travel-agencys.
    We need a nighttrain Hue -Hanoi for a fixed date end of august. Is it a risk, to try buying this at the Hue station 2 days in advance?
    Who knows a good travelagency with resonable prices in Hue (delivering the ticket to our hotel)
    Please advise me something, I worry about this, muggel

#1 Posted: 20/6/2009 - 20:36

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

muggel

Something free in Vietnam? I'd like to see that!!!

August is not a high demand season. It's unlikely you'll have problems.

But, if you feel more comfortable booking ahead, then type in the words 'vietnam travel agent' into the Search Travelfish box in the grey part of this page (near top).

The major agencies are honest. For example, look at www.sinhcafevn.com

Hope this helps

Cheers

#2 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 09:50

• muggel

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

Sorry, free is not the correct word: I meen: There is a German, living in Vietnam, he tried to get Traintickets for softsleeper at the main office of Vietnam Railways in Saigon, but there had been are no more tickets .

Therefore I ask here in this forum, if this is the real situation in august: only tickets (with high commission ) from travel agents or available tickets at the train station?

brucemoon: thanks, I did the "search"-function already.
    brucemoon: sinhcafevn homepage provide open tour bus and airtickets but no traintickets.

muggel

#3 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 16:38

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

muggel,

Maybe you could consider flying from Danang to Hanoi by JetStar which may cost the same as a nightsleeper train and much faster. You can get your Jetstar ticket on line . You will however need to get yourself from Hue to Danang which is not a problem as there are open tour bus available to get you there.

#4 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 23:51

• muggel

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

I tried already to get a fare rate from jetstar, but there are no flights alvailable for end of august in the moment.... VN is about 78 USD, and this is more than the train.

muggel

#5 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 00:15

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

muggel

There is a British website that deals with rail issues in SE Asia. It's called 'SEAT61'. They have many handy hints. To know how to buy a train ticket, go to:

http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#How to buy tickets

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 10:15

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

muggel,
    I think you must have tried booking Hue to Hanoi with Jetstar and the reply would be that there is no flight on that day because Jetstar do not fly Hue/Hanoi at all. My suggestion was for you to fly Danang/Hanoi but you will have to get yourself from Hue to Danang( which is about 3-4 hours journey by road) which has twice daily flight . For end August, the all-in fare is about $45.

Hope you will find the above infor useful.

#7 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 23:46

• scafire_jes-
    se

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I ran into a similar problem trying to get to the sleeper to Hue. We waited in line for about an hour at train station (and were helped out by some very nice locals to navigate the system) only to find out that all the sleepers were sold out.

So we went to a travel agent (ET Pumpkin, I think, we had good luck with them several times) and promptly got the tickets for not much more. We were told later that travel agencies buy up all the tickets so you might as well just go to one of them.

#8 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 00:27

• muggel

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

I find my solution for this advance-Booking-train-problem:

I know a German,Thomas Weingaertner, running a small travelagency in HoiAn. He tried to buy tickets at the station in Danang for us, he didn't got any ticket in advance! Just the same as scafire_jesse has written.

impressivevietnam, brucemoon showed us the link, wants to sell tickets, but they take high prices. For example: Danang-Na Trang they take 42 USD, the "station-price" is 21 USD!

Now, we got our tickets for a good price. thomas.weingaertner@web.de has good contacts to the Livitrans-Agent in HoiAn, and we have got our advance ticket now.
    Livitrans is a private company, running also Sapa-Hanoi, and 1x per day, they add 1 waggon to the SE1/2. But it's only 1 waggon, and many places for this summer are already taken . I can recommend Thomas.

muggel

#9 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 04:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.