Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Muong Lay - Lai Chau, which is which now?

• anhluc

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2009

I'm still a bit confused an I know somebody has the answer. Is the old Lai Chau which is closer to Sa Pa on the map, now or is it going to be Muong Lay ? Or, is Muong Lay which is closer to Dien Bien on the map, now or is it going to be Lai Chau.

I guess the easier question is which one is going to be under water soon and is the sight of the hydro electric plant and dam?

Just a stretch here, but does anyone know the travel time between Dien Bien to Muong Lay, Muong Lay to Lai Chau, and Lai Chau to Sa Pa?

I am trying to decide if I should plan the trip in one day (Dien Bien to Sa Pa via private car), or which of Muong Lay or Lai Chau would be the better one to layover at.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 01:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Dien Bien Phu to Muong Lay is around 3 hours
    Muang Lay to Lai Chau is 3-4 hours
    Lai Chau to Sapa is 3-4 hours

These are very dependent on road conditions etc -- you'll find more info in the travel sections on each destination.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 06:54

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

anhluc

Somtam has answered the basics.

But, why go that way?

The road is now crap...

Go look at my post:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6105_road-disaster---dbp---surrounds

Cheers

#3 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 08:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.