Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mai Chau, Halong Bay or Sapa?

• mhlow

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Hey.
    My girlfriend and i are going to spend 6 nights in Hanoi. We've narrowed it down to doing 2 out of the 3 places above. Any suggestions??

Also, has anyone had any experience with Trekkingtravel tour agency for tours to Halong Bay? Heard it isn't too bad. It seems Columbus tours is pretty good but just a bit to expensive for us.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 18:53

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mhlow

It's hard for ppl to advise when we don't know when you're planning on being in VN.

The time there will reveal good/bad options.

So, we'll await that vital piece of info.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 19:11

• mhlow

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

thanks for your reply!

we'll be arriving in Hanoi on the 8th July and leaving on the 14th July.

#3 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:40

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mhlow

In many respects, and though much more low key Mai Chau offers a similar sort of experience to SaPa, but I'd tend towards SaPa.

Might I suggest you take the Saturday night train to Lao Cai (rail head for SaPa). This will have you arriving early on Sunday morning.

From Lao Cai, go to BacHa market, then at about 11am, travel to SaPa. Then take the night train from Lao Cai on Monday night.

- - -

As for BacHa, this is an amazing must see (IMHO). As the logistics are generally organising a seat on a bus from Lao Cai to BacHa and return to SaPa, many tour operators can organise. Same same for the night train.

In SaPa, as you appear are on a tight budget, check out Queen Hotel. This place is well priced and situated smack bang in the centre of the 'action'.

Many ethnic women congregate there to sell their wares. Many ask you to come and visit their village (they all speak English quite well). If you are half smart, you'll say yes the those that speak English well. In so doing, remember that they want a donation for their efforts (about US$10, which isn't much to you but heaps for them). Also, keep asking questions about THEIR lifestyle, you'll learn heaps and come away really impressed about life in the region and your own lifestyle.

- - - -

I'd also suggest you spend 2 nights in the Halong Bay area (unless it's going to be raining or fogged out - a distinct possibility).

So, I'd be leaving the booking of the Halong Bay trip to when you arrive on the 8th, and weather permitting, trying to leave on the 9th (the mini vans depart about 8:30 - 9:00). Hopefully, 2 nights on the water, and return on 11th in time to catch the night train to Lao Cai.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 06:34

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

We just had fantastic experience emailing back and forth with Columbus. Very pleasant! They offered us the promotional rate of 85 pp aboard the Pinta Cruiser and 99$ pp for the Pinta Gold. Seem good value for money. Can't wait to go!

#5 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 08:50

• mhlow

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Thanks Bruce and Rebecca for your replies.

Bruce, is the weather really that bad this time of the year? I think you recommended Columbus Tours in one of your previous post, but is there any other tour agencies that are fairly decent or which you had a good experience with? We were thinking about Trekkingtravel or Vega Travel? Columbus tours is charging nearly 200USD for the 3 days 2 nights cruise and that's just too pricey for us.

#6 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 10:57

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I've been to both Mai Chau and Sapa , and I vote for Sapa too. Mai Chau is interesting for a few hours and unique, but Sapa is just more special. I would stay at the Cat Cat because it has great views, it has a trek booking office (see the Aussie), and is generally outstanding and priced right too.

#7 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 12:20

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mhlow

First, weather. This is the wet time of year. For more on seasons, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/vietnam-weather.php

Though it is the early part of the wet season, it MAY be sunny, showery, rainy, or some combination.

Today, the whole area is covered by dense cloud. Go see at:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=HaNoi,%20Vietnam&wuSelect=WEATHER

If you 'right click' on the small picture to the left side to open in a new tab/window, you'll see just how dense the cloud really is. Halong Bay is about where the 'g' is in Hai Phong (on the right side).

But, in a weeks' time, it may all be sunny again - that's weather.

- - - -

To be frank, Halong Bay is such a nice place when clear and sunny (even overcast), but I wouldn't waste my money if it was going to be wet, or foggy. You just wouldn't see anything to justify the expense.

- - - -

You didn't say what time of day you are arriving HaNoi. But if before (say) 3pm, I'd be waiting till I arrived before making any bookings (with anyone).

- - - -

As far as which company to go with, I know enough about Vietnamese travel agents to know not to generally recommend. Because I had a 1-2-1 experience with Columbus, and they only have their own boats, and heaps of others have had good experiences, I feel OK making recommendations about them.

My suggestions would be to note that:

1/. remember that the 'cheapie' tours often have ppl motored through Halong Bay, and drop them off to sleep at Cat Ba (just another tourist town on land - this time fronting Halong Bay). Yes, you get to see SOME parts of Halong Bay, but not much, and you are ALWAYS in the company of a host of other boats (with noise, yahoo-ing, etc., being carried across the water).

2/. the next level up of tours has boats congregated around the caves area, both for day, and for night. Believe me when I say it's noisy. But, again, these boats take you into the first part of the Bay, but you don't get to see the more 'remote' areas with the fascinating karst outcrop arrangements. In a sense, they are similar to #1, above, but you sleep on the water.

3/. To my way of thinking, you do need to spend at least one night in the far eastern part of Halong Bay area. In other words, the operator needs to be showing you (on a map) that the boat moors overnight in an out of the way location. To reduce costs, if you can find this sort of option without the quality food of the Pinta, then you may be able to manage a better price.

4/. like always, be aware that what is offered may not necessarily be what is delivered.

5/. I'd definitely suggest that you would be very wise to re-read:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/73

There are alternate options there that may be quite worthwhile for you.

- - - -

One thing you really need to be aware of is that in HaNoi, anyone can set themselves up as a tourist office AND COPY A WELL KNOWN FIRM'S NAME. For example, I counted dozens of Sinh Cafe 'offices'. Even Lonely Planet has the wrong address shown on its map (right address in the text). Handspan is another name with copycat offices.

So, check out which company you think is OK, and make sure you have the right website / street address of its office.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 12:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mai Chau to Sapa ... By Pokol on 13 Oct 2009 2 3654 14 Oct 2009
Sapa or Mai Chau? ... By ivo_24 on 29 Apr 2007 3 3877 1 May 2007
Mai Chau/Sapa - escape the crowds ... By ElmoAustria on 14 Feb 2011 4 3593 21 Mar 2011
This is short notice but does anyone want to travel NW Vietnam together (Mai Chau, Son La, SaPa)? ... By sunwreck on 15 Jul 2010 3 1943 18 Jul 2010