Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Buon Ma Tout to Dalat

• huxley21

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

We are going to be staying in Buon Ma Tout for prob two nights as coming down from Kon Tum and and want to
    1) hire a motobike and ride upo to Yok Don for elephants and ban don
    2) either hire a motobike or get a private tour to dray sap falls and onto lak lake.

any words of wisdom on these or tips would be appreciated!

ALSO... whether it would be possible to be driven on from lak lake either by tour guide (or someone there) to Dalat to save having to go back to buon ma tout and if so how much would this cost?!

Planning on staying in either Biet Dien Hotel if the pennies are low or Dam San Hotel - is this wise?!

Many thanks - and thank to all those who i have gleaned advice from by reading other forums!

Alice

#1 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 23:51

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Alice

A couple of points.

In Vietnam whenever someone gets an idea and it's profitable, everyone seeks to copy. That's the case with hiring motorbikes: wherever there are many tourists, there'll be someone renting motorbikes. That said, I'm not sure there are enough tourists in Buon Ma Tout to warrant an innovative fellow to try renting out bikes. So, please do your homework on this one. Maybe others have done same so can advise.

Also, around 2006 there were travel warnings for the Buon Ma Tout area due to civil unrest. The problem was never the city area but some of the outlying areas. I'm not sure what the current situation is, but again it'd be wise to check.

As for Lak Lak to Dalat, maybe you could arrange for an Easy Rider to either take you to Lak Lak from BMT and on to Dalat, or from Lak Lak. Go look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6282_the-real-easyriders-

Cheers

#2 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 07:22

• anhluc

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2009

When are you planning to go? The reason I ask is that I will be doing Da Lat to Buon Ma Thuot to Pleiku to Kontum and back to Pleiku for flight to Sai Gon in September. Will happily report back and give you the up and up if your trip is planned for a later date.

Civil unrest - my tour operator says everything is good right now, but on April 30 (Reunification Day nontheless), the local authorities went into Buon Ma Thout and completely leveled a historic rock church in the middle of the night which didn't sit very well with the local minorities of Christian belief. Kind of an obscure story I found on a religious freedoms blog/website, so Huxley if you were going to see the church . . . well it ain't there anymore.

Let me know when you are going and maybe I'll be able to get the info before you go.

#3 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 12:18

• Motorbikes

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Alice
    I think that to see Ban Don is nice but if you would like to do a elephant riding, you should go to Lak Lake for this this is better because of nice landscape. For the motorbike trip I think you should do with Easy Riders. This group is based in Dalat doing the motorbike trip for living.

THe first day: Buon Me Thuot - Ban don (Suspension bridge) then back to Buon Me Thuot for Dam San or Eden Hotel
    Day 2: Eden - Draysap waterfall - Lak lake
    Day 3: Lak Lake for elephant in the morning then heading to Dalat
    Fell free send me an email if you would like to do.

A member of Vietnam - Easy riders
    Cheers

#4 Posted: 1/7/2009 - 16:04

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

There is a public bus from BMT to Yok Don national park.You catch the bus from opposite Khai Doan pagoda in Phan Boi Chau and I think they go about every half hour. I got one at about 9am and then just waited outside the park to come back. It takes about an hour to get there I think and the park entrance is signposted and on your left as you go out from BMT. The stop is quite close to the entrance and the information centre where you should be able to go for a guided walk and ride an elephant. . It's a good idea to ring beforehand to arrange this. 050/783049

#5 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 11:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.