Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

To fly or not to fly?

Posted by sophieee on 12/7/2009 at 20:40

Hello!
We are travelling overland from bangkok into cambodia through vietnam and into laos then due to get the overland train to bangkok to fly home. There are parts of our trip that would be a lot easier to fly though, like Hanoi to Luang Prabrang but my friend did this same trip about 3 years ago and said that we should avoid flying. She flew internally in Vietnam and none of the passengers had there baggage put on the plane. She said that she met a lot of people who had had this happen to them. I wondered if anyone knew if things have changed now or if the left baggage was a common occurence? Thanks for any comments xx

#1 sophieee has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 13/7/2009 at 01:30 TF writer

I flew five times on my last trip, which just ended a month ago...

- Singapore to HCMC (Jetstar)
- Da Nang to Ha Noi (Jetstar)
- Ha Noi to Da Nang (Jetstar)
- Bangkok to HCMC (Air Asia)
- HCMC to Singapore (Jetstar)

Never had a problem with luggage or anything else.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by BruceMoon on 13/7/2009 at 04:34

sophieee

I fly cabin baggage only - for the very reason that occasionally baggage does get waylaid (and I don't want to lug baggage around the world). On this subject, go here.

That said, any airline you travel on will have a percentage of pax with waylaid baggage. I think the industry standard is something like 2 bags per 1000 bags moved. Clearly, some airlines / airports may have a higher rate than others: but, I suggest, not by a huge margin.

I suggest SE Asia is no worse / better than anywhere else in the world. Both airlines and airports have reputations to maintain so it stands to reason that while 'accidents' do occur, they will be minimal.

Personally, I'd be scheduling flights where YOU think it helpful to you. And, for your own peace of mind, have a carry on pack that contains your essentials, and enough clothes / whatever, to get you through the next 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by amazon_blonde on 13/7/2009 at 05:12

Sophieee,
My partner and I did a 3-month trip in SEA at the beginning of the year and were fortunate enough to be able to do a lot of flights including:
BKK to Kathmandu and back (Thai Air)
Phuket to BKK (Bangkok Air)
BKK to Luang Prabang (Bangkok Air)
Vientianne to Siam Reap (Laos Air)
Saigon to Hanoi (Vietnam Air)
We didn't have any problems with any of these airlines. We checked baggage, including valuable climbing gear, and had no issues. (Having said that, it's always best to take valuable/expensive items carry-on if possible, it's just not possible with climbing gear.)
I agree with the previous posters in that you are no more or less likely to have problems than anywhere else in the world. Fly if you can afford and it and you want to. There are lots of reasons to travel by land, but fear of having your baggage stolen isn't a good one. IMHO, your baggage is safer on most airlines than on most buses in Asia.
Happy travels!

#4 amazon_blonde has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 116

Posted by sophieee on 13/7/2009 at 23:33

Thank you for all your comments! they are really useful. Think we'll def fly some of the way then, save ourselves from 24hour buses haha!
cheers x

#5 sophieee has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.