Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

To fly or not to fly?

• sophieee

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Hello!
    We are travelling overland from bangkok into cambodia through vietnam and into laos then due to get the overland train to bangkok to fly home. There are parts of our trip that would be a lot easier to fly though, like Hanoi to Luang Prabrang but my friend did this same trip about 3 years ago and said that we should avoid flying. She flew internally in Vietnam and none of the passengers had there baggage put on the plane. She said that she met a lot of people who had had this happen to them. I wondered if anyone knew if things have changed now or if the left baggage was a common occurence? Thanks for any comments xx

#1 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 20:40

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I flew five times on my last trip, which just ended a month ago...

- Singapore to HCMC (Jetstar)
    - Da Nang to Ha Noi (Jetstar)
    - Ha Noi to Da Nang (Jetstar)
    - Bangkok to HCMC (Air Asia)
    - HCMC to Singapore (Jetstar)

Never had a problem with luggage or anything else.

#2 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 01:30

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sophieee

I fly cabin baggage only - for the very reason that occasionally baggage does get waylaid (and I don't want to lug baggage around the world). On this subject, go here.

That said, any airline you travel on will have a percentage of pax with waylaid baggage. I think the industry standard is something like 2 bags per 1000 bags moved. Clearly, some airlines / airports may have a higher rate than others: but, I suggest, not by a huge margin.

I suggest SE Asia is no worse / better than anywhere else in the world. Both airlines and airports have reputations to maintain so it stands to reason that while 'accidents' do occur, they will be minimal.

Personally, I'd be scheduling flights where YOU think it helpful to you. And, for your own peace of mind, have a carry on pack that contains your essentials, and enough clothes / whatever, to get you through the next 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 04:34

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Sophieee,
    My partner and I did a 3-month trip in SEA at the beginning of the year and were fortunate enough to be able to do a lot of flights including:
    BKK to Kathmandu and back (Thai Air)
    Phuket to BKK (Bangkok Air)
    BKK to Luang Prabang (Bangkok Air)
    Vientianne to Siam Reap (Laos Air)
    Saigon to Hanoi (Vietnam Air)
    We didn't have any problems with any of these airlines. We checked baggage, including valuable climbing gear, and had no issues. (Having said that, it's always best to take valuable/expensive items carry-on if possible, it's just not possible with climbing gear.)
    I agree with the previous posters in that you are no more or less likely to have problems than anywhere else in the world. Fly if you can afford and it and you want to. There are lots of reasons to travel by land, but fear of having your baggage stolen isn't a good one. IMHO, your baggage is safer on most airlines than on most buses in Asia.
    Happy travels!

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 05:12

• sophieee

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Thank you for all your comments! they are really useful. Think we'll def fly some of the way then, save ourselves from 24hour buses haha!
    cheers x

#5 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 23:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.