Vietnam forum

HCMC Airport Taxi's Nightmare part 2

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

So you just got done flying for some 25 hours , and have gathered your luggafe , going thru last security , you see 5 money exchange booths each one giving a different rate, all the money is the same take the higher rate. Now if you go outside there is allot of taxi's . So which one to take , well Malinh and Vinasun are the most respected , and most are in a Uniform with a tie . if none are available you could take the 8.00 usd , a 1 price option at the Budget Rent a Car counter, you pay them they give a driver a voucher and put you in a taxi , they speak english so they can tell the taxi where to go . Or choose one of the many others and risk getting taken advantage of. Your Choice.????

#1 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 20:49

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

travworld

Am I to understand that Budget Rent a Car are accepting US$8 to provide a secure taxi journey to HaNoi central (CBD)?

My understanding is that a 'normal' taxi rate is about US10 (one way). So, this would be good value.

Is this correct?

- - -

For those interested, there are also cheaper travel options, go look here

Cheers

#2 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 05:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Sorry

Mistook your post for HaNoi.

oooops!!!

Anyway...

#3 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 05:14

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

Yes this is for HCMC , I am sorry the taxi drivers in Hanoi still take you to the wrong hotel , and well its best to complain to Hanoi airport that they really should make all taxi company's get a license to pick up from the airport so as to only have respectable taxi companies pick up , also did you know in HCMC they have some nicer taxi that are similiar to a Limo Taxi..

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 09:43

• wanderlust13

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

I just got ripped off in Saigon by a taxi driver...either from M-Taxi or a scammer in an M-Taxi car. I had heard that Vinasun was a safe company and had taken them several times, and indeed it was fine. However, today as I walked out of the Tax Department Store on Le Loi, I noticed an M-Taxi with the driver waving and smiling out the window at me. I walked up to see if he had a meter (he pointed to the meter and said "yes, meter" so I got in. The ride from there down to the Binh Tay market in Chinatown was an astounding 276,000 dong! I watched it go up, and realized I was getting ripped off, and so I asked him to stop but he wouldn't. At the destination I tried to bargain, telling him I knew his meter was rigged and offered him 200,000, still a great deal for him, but he refused. His car number was 276. DO NOT TAKE M-TAXI. The taxi ride back (with Mylinh) was an acceptable 45,000 dong - much more in line with what it should be. Also, although he may have been from a reputable company (certainly not reputable in my opinion) he was not wearing a uniform. I have heard from local Vietnamese sources that a lack of uniform is a telltale sign of a scam artist, however I took a non-uniformed Mylinh taxi the night before and it was fine...so...be careful.

#5 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 16:29

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

Yeah those other guys who smile at you and tell you to get in , are obvious the ones to rip you off, I would have refused and told him to call the police . chances are he would have bargained with you .I am back in the USA , I still think MaLINH and VinaSun are the best , but they do have executive taxi's that drive the nicer black cars , charge a little more but ride in style , i picked up one from the New World Hotel .

#6 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 07:27

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

MaLinh for Saigon, but NEVER for HaNoi!!!

Cheers

#7 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 08:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
taxi from HCMC airport ... By jwgacy on 2 Jan 2011 5 7544 4 Jan 2011
vietnam part : hcmc ... By jonyd1 on 17 Jan 2011 1 2916 21 Feb 2012
Might Bangkok airport get closed as part of February 2 election disruption? ... By EdwardTrunk on 10 Jan 2014 4 1005 10 Jan 2014