Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Flights between Hanoi and HCMC

Posted by lolilu on 22/7/2009 at 02:28

Hi - My friend and I want to fly from Hanoi to HCMC in mid-August. We were considering booking a flight before we leave the States, but a lot of people have warned us that it might be cheaper to book once we actually get into Vietnam. We've looked on Skyscanner and it looks like any non-stop flight is running around $315 per person (with Vietnam Airlines)! I checked what I believed to be Vietnam Airlines website (www.vietnamairlines.com/), and it quoted me a significantly lower price.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is better---to book now via the website or to wait and book while we are in Vietnam, either with a travel agency or directly with the Airlines?

Thanks,

Lauren

#1 lolilu has been a member since 22/7/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by chrispyrolls on 22/7/2009 at 03:56

Hi Lauren,

Don't pay $315 - these flights are in the region of $100 in Vietnam!!

Wait till you are there, every man and his dog is a travel agent in Vietnam, so there will be no issues getting the tickets when in Hanoi.

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/7/2009 at 05:33 admin

Or look at booking with Jetstar (http://www.jetstar.com) they do it for around the $100 mark and can be booked easily from outside Vn.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Tweet22 on 24/7/2009 at 08:51

I toured the country from North to South last year (May 2008) with Viet Nam airlines, and having done it 2 years previously, I decided to fly back up north instead. So from HCM City to Ha Noi, I paid 1.4million dong, with 100,000 dong being the agents fee. Exchange rate at the time meant this was about £46, which is about $77 at our current rate. Of course it maybe abit more now! But certainly not £315 worth.

#4 Tweet22 has been a member since 24/7/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.