Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Firts Trip To Vietnam Itinerary (Can someone please add their comments?)

• gracenpaul

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009

Hi, My wife and I are planning our first trip to Vietnam in SEP/OCT and was wondering if someone could please add comments/suugestions?

We only have 14 days to spare.

Arrive HCM (3 Nights)
    Fly to Na Trang (2 Nights)
    Train to Da Nang (1 Night)

What we are stuck on is the best way to get to Hanoi from Da nang? We would like to spend a few days in Hoi An and Hue and a least 3-4 days in Hanoi before we head home.

Is this a realistic plan?

If someone can add their suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 07:42

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

gracenpaul

It's great to see that you have got a prough plan on where you want to rest your head along the way.

Before I further comment, I'd really like to know what you two want to see, do and experience while in Vietnam. That (for me at least) would fashion how I offered ideas.

As an aside, go read these two 'posts' on Travelfish...

1. This here is oriented to Thailand, but it also perfectly applies to Vietnam, and

2. This here (I suggest) helps marry travel with enjoyment/experience.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 08:27

• gracenpaul

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009

BrueMoon,

This is the second part of our first backpacking adventure through Cambodia and Vietnam.

Both my wife and I have never travelled overseas before so we really want to 'experience' the places that we visit. We are open minded and want to take it as it comes. We want to get off the beaten track.

The culture and history of Vietnam is something that we really want to encounter.

We don't want to make any "concrete' decisions. Our trip is going to be open so that if we decide we like the current place we are visiting, we will stay longer. If we don't like it, we will move on sooner.

I hope this helps.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 09:09

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

gracenpau

Your original post (ie #1) lists places that are well and truly on the banana pancake trail (see my #1 link).

That said, I doubt you will experience much in Vietnam other than what westerners like on the banana pancake trail.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with doing the banana pancake trail. My wife & I did that a year or so ago. We made a blog that may help (go here to look.

But, if you do want to see aspects of Vietnam outside the banana pancake trail, you will have to give yourself time to so do, be oriented to explore options that will get you away from the banana pancake trail, and be willing to turn your back on the banana pancake trail crowd.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 29/7/2009 - 09:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam - a 60 day itinerary - comments ... By kandpfishos on 9 Jun 2011 7 3244 7 Jul 2011
itinerary for comments! ... By xhai on 31 Aug 2009 5 2666 1 Sep 2009
1st trip...comments/advice on itinery please =) ... By effi_kiki on 24 Oct 2009 7 2390 10 Nov 2009
Any Comments on Planned Itinerary? ... By RichMelZA on 21 Oct 2009 3 2543 27 Oct 2009
Rouh Itinerary - Comments welcome ... By Mangala on 20 Nov 2009 2 2087 20 Nov 2009
Open minded for comments on Itinerary! Thanks! ... By virgingirl on 5 May 2011 5 2272 6 Aug 2011
3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed ... By randy_from_canada on 8 May 2008 2 3489 15 May 2008
Itinerary Advice/Comments Wanted - Asia ... By brothbart on 18 Dec 2009 5 3974 17 Apr 2012
Laos and Cambodia Trip - planning stages - comments appreciated! ... By Jacster on 12 Aug 2006 12 2961 17 Aug 2006