Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

first time -northeast vietnam in November

• sdl68

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

Hi

Im so glad Ive stumbled upon this site. I'm a Canadian and will be traveling to Vietnam and other SE Asian countries for 5 weeks in November. I will be traveling solo with an emphasis on photography and plan to spend 10-14 days in Vietnam.

My interests will be both city and street life as well as landscapes and agricultural rural life. Aside from iconic places such as Halong Bay im intrigued about NE vietnam with some of the tiered agriculture.

Unfortunately it seems that at this time of year it is what Vietnamese consider winter (which is probably warmer than my summer) and most of the rice crops are harvested. If anyone has traveled through this area in November I would be interested in what I can expect. Is is still green, do I need to bring warmer clothes, as how cold is cold. From my research it seems I can only find historical weather info for Hanoi but the mountainous areas Im sure are considerably cooler.

Can anyone provide me with information on where I can find active agricultural activities for this time of year even if its further south.

regards

Alex

#1 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 01:26

• Advertisement

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

The best bit of advice I can give you if you're into photography is go to Sapa.

Stunningly beautiful.

#2 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 05:55

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sdl68

As a photographer, you'd appreciate that there is never a 'right' time of year for photography. Rather, that seasons produce challenges/opportunities.

As for SaPa, September through November and March through May are the best weather periods for trekking and cycling. Daytime temperatures range from 15-28 C, and night-time temperatures from 18 down to 10 Celsius.

I don't know what part of November (late, early?) but while some rice will have been harvested, many fields will not yet have been harvested.

Remember, in the north-west, much of the labour is done by hand so rice planting is undertaken to ensure harvesting CAN be achieved over the (longish) time available.

I was in those parts in October, have a look at my 'blog' here.

I don't know how you plan to travel, but a most amazing photogenic journey would be achieved if you secured a motorbike and travelled along route 279 from Pho Rang to Dien Bien Phu.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 08:57

• sdl68

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

Thanks for the replies...
    BruceMoon...your blog is great, nice photos and lots of interesting info.

regards

#4 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 09:23

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Depending on how you are travelling I don't think the cold will bother you too much.

If you're on a motorbike, definitely rug up!!

There are other places where you'll find the terraced rice paddies. Obviously you've got Sapa and the surrounds, but also in Ha Giang province (and a great place to photography minority people/markets).

In addition you could visit Pu Luong National Park which is about a day's travel from Hanoi. It's stunning. Seriously doubt you'll see another tourist inside the park, and the homestays with the local White Thai and Muong people are wonderful experiences.

#5 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 13:56

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

He doesn't mention it in his post, but as Bruce's blog points out, for photographs, Bac Ha market is magnificent.

#6 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 14:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
northeast vietnam: how easy to travel in? ... By eversjef on 21 May 2010 0 1638 21 May 2010