Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Night travel....buses/trains..

• Greggor58

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2009

Hi everybody...Ive just worked out an itinerary for January and February travel throughout Vietnam...
    Im hoping that someone here can point me in the direction of a bus company or service..by traveling at night Ill gain an extra ten days or so give or take...to add to my usable time there...Is it possible or common to travel by bus or train at night..? Any help is appreciated!Thanks..

#1 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 07:47

• Advertisement

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

Hi, i've done heaps of research on this becaus eof my own trip in december. Here theres a map of train routes in Vietnam.
    http://www.seat61.com/Map-SEAsia.htm

and here: how to do it by train: http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 08:06

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Greggor58

Sleeper train is more expensive than bus. For details, go here for the easiest reference.

Not all routes between cities are undertaken by night bus (or night train), though many are.

There are some really shonky bus operators in Vietnam. Many bad experiences are posted here on Travelfish. Try this description.

Might I suggest you only use Sinh Cafe. They may not be the best in the world, but they have perhaps the safest record in Vietnam.

Go to www.sinhcafevn.com to locate their offices throughout Vietnam. You don't have to book till you are there.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 13:19

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Train is much safer and more comfortable than bus. It does cost more than the bus but is still amazingly cheap. Book as early as you can for soft sleepers, though I've found sitting up in soft seats overnight not too bad and you should be able to get them the previous day.

The most obvious overnight trips are from Saigon to Nha Trang , Nha Trang to Danang (for Hoi An) or Hue and from Hue to Hanoi - it depends which direction you go in how well a particular trip works. From Danang to Hue is a beautiful trip to be awake for and really you will want to see at least some countryside; don't regard it as wasted time.

You can also go overnight between Hanoi and the nearest station to Sapa but these tickets can be hard to get.

#4 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 10:09

• Greggor58

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2009

Thanks for your responses....its all helpful info....the more the better..

#5 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 23:02

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Posted from within Vietnam.

I had lots of fun on Sinh Cafe's sleeper bus. Here's a virtual tour of the sleeper bus: http://www.vietnam720.com/Virtual-Tours/Sleeper-Bus-HCMC.16.html

#6 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 08:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sleeper trains are almost always preferable to bus - although I haven't had the pleasure in Thailand (or southeast Asia). In Kenya it was a fantastic experience.

I have had lots of experience with the bus however - in Thailand. You won't exactly gain extra days, as you will sleep like crap on the bus and feel hungover and sleep deprived he next day. I always have to get a few hours of down time if I don't want to walk around feeling like crap.

#7 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 12:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buses and Trains Bangkok to Sukhothai ... By AmandaJordan on 4 May 2007 2 3856 4 May 2007
Buses to Sai Tai Mai/What to do in Bangkok at Night ... By deliverusmaud on 20 Jan 2010 5 3558 27 Jan 2010