Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Easy Riders prices

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi guys,

The travelfish guide book says that easy riders are about $8-15 per day, but their website quotes about $65 per day.

We are looking for something from Pleiku to Hoi An, what would you recommend as the number of days that should be taken.

We won't be able to book online too far in advance (ie any more than a couple of days) as we are playing it a bit by ear in Cambodia and are not sure exactly how much time we will spend there, and therefore don't know when we will be in Pleiku.

Should we contact them on the net or wait and try and do something once we get to Pleiku, given that they usually operate out of Da Lat?

Greatful for any advice.

#1 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 14:58

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

KazAussie

Its going to cost you around US$60/day. But, you'll get great value. They may offer a discount for many days - I don't know.

There are recommendations to riders here on Travelfish (with their email details).

Try here and here.

Personally, I'd make contact, with some/all/one and take their advice as to itinerary.

I'd then alert them to when you plan on being there - give or take days - and keep them up to speed by email along the way (ie weekly). Then, when you are closer to the mark, get them organised to meet you at your preferred destination.

Essentially, I'm saying: choose rider/s, commit yourself, be on a one-to-one email contact, keep in touch, then when all's ready to go, enjoy yourself.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 15:30

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks Bruce,

$60 a day is not beyond the budget particularly as they include meals and accommodation, and heck for a couple of days the experience would be worth it I feel. It was just there was such a discrepancy between what was in the travel fish guide and what was on their web site that concerned me.

I will email them now.

#3 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 15:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmmm that's a big discrepancy -- I'm waiting to hear back from the researcher who did that section to find out what he was talking about -- perhaps daytrips out of Da Lat...not sure.

That research was done just over two years ago, but even taking that into consideration seems like a huge rise -- will report back when I hear from him.

#4 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 18:33

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks for that somtam2000 I will wait till i hear from you

#5 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 19:35

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Somtam

It's been in that price region for ages. About 3 years ago it was US$45, Last I knew (late last year) it was US$60. Now US$65. Appears inflation in Vietnam is still ongoing - despite the GFC. Maybe Dalat has yet to catch the global cold.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 20:03

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Guys

I took a DAY tour with an EasyRider yesterday, starting at 08:30 finishing at about 4pm. It was only around the local area and cost me $15.

I was also interested in going from DaLat to Ho Chin Minh. To which end the cost was $200 for 3 days. But for this could expect no more expenses save drinks souveniers and the like.

This may explain the discrepancy mentioned above. Remember that when you take a tour lasting 2days+ you will be paying for accomodation and food for 2 people. If you you are a couple you will be paying for 4 people and so on

#7 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 10:17

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks very much Skimonkey that does explain it and I think the costs are reasonable. How did you find your day tour? How helpful was the guide? Did you supply a fixed itinery or did they have some suggestions which took you to interesting places that you wouldn't normally have gone to.

Experiences in China were that some of the day tours obviously revolved around taking you to places with with they had a reciprocal arrangement. For example on the trip out to see the terracotta warriors half the time was spent in shops and the tour guide didn't really add much value when we were at the warriors.

I am not going to be concerned if there is a bit of that, as I realise that these people have to work very hard to make ends meet but don't want to spend all my time in and out of shops.

I would be very grateful for your comments.

#8 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 13:25

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Kaz

I 'hooked' up with a couple of Dalat Easy Riders while biking around dalat myself. I found them great. Those being taken around were overly impressed.

I doubt you'll get taken to commissionaires' places.

#9 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 14:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I heard back from the researcher concerned and he said that from memory, the price was for a day tour heading out from Da Lat to a couple of waterfalls and what not -- he wasn't talking about the longer duration/overnight trips.

Note he was there a couple of years back now so the prices mentioned by skimonkey sounds about right. I'll put through an update on the Da Lat section to better reflect this later today - apols for any confusion.

#10 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 10:29

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Taking a trip of a few days also means you need to pay for the driver to get back home. Unless arranged beforehand I don't think you will find a driver in Pleiku. It's not very touristy and few people speak English.

#11 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 11:10

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Kaz

I was not taken to any hard sell places throughout the day, although we did go to a silk factory, where there was a small shop outside selling the products it manufactured. There was also free tea, so not to shabby in my books.

The best part of the whole day for me was being on the bike riding through the country side. I would say that my guide knew his stuff and was good company.

Violets, the cost that I was given included the riders return trip, if this comes up as an extra then I would suggest that you may not be in the company of a genuine EasyRider.

#12 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 22:31

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thank you all very much for your replies.

Unfortunately because of the way the itinerary is panning out we probably won't be going to Da Lat, so easy riders are probably not an option. I am going to look for a similar type service out of Hoi An where we can do one or two day trips.

Will have to save the "real" easy riders for the next trip.

Once again, thanks all for your advice.

#13 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 14:22

• spakky

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2009

Just back from an Easy Rider countryside tour round the sites of Da Lat today. It cost the two of us $22 but if you are less rubbish at haggling and shop around a bit, you can get it for $18. We were 'got' by an easy rider the second we stepped outside our hostel on the first day in Da Lat and really should have waited a bit longer before being enlisted as we later saw Easy Rider's advertised for $18 for the day trip... That said, it was brilliant and no regrets for doing it. There was a bit of a hard sell on taking a longer tour taking in whatever we wished to see on route. The price quoted was initially $70 per day (inc hotels and entrance fees) which was a bit rubbish considering the recommendations we were reading in their books said it was $50 per day in 2007. After some squirming, $60 per day was offered for a 2 day (one night trip) inc Lake Lak. We left it but in all honesty, had we not had a full year of travelling still ahead of us, we would have blown the budget on it as it was a great experience.

#14 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 20:07

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks for the post back spakky, all good to know and glad you enjoyed the experience. Good luck with the rest of your travels.

#15 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 14:16

• mandarc

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010

Hi,

I have a question regarding deposits:
    I have been corresponding with one over email prior to my departure to Vietnam, who seems highly recommended (judging by internet forums), but he is asking for a deposit upfront via Western Union and I am wondering if that is the norm.

Thanks!

#16 Posted: 14/7/2010 - 00:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mui Ne Easy Riders ... By Miduck on 27 Jan 2014 0 416 27 Jan 2014
Dalat Easy Riders ... By Fattymac on 3 Feb 2010 12 6281 10 Mar 2014
Easy Riders Adventure Hoi An ... By nguyenquangnam on 13 May 2010 1 2328 14 May 2010
Vietnam Easy Riders - From Da Lat to HCMC ... By Jleef on 21 Jun 2010 0 2504 21 Jun 2010
Easy Riders Nha Trang and Dalat ... By Jogilroy on 11 Aug 2007 1 3311 12 Aug 2007