Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Road from Nha Trang to Dalat

• mlr

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2009

Hey!

I have been noticing from a few posts on this website that there seems to be a new, shorter road connecting Nha Trang and Dalat now, is this the case and if so how long does it now take by bus?

We were planning on going to Dalat from Nha Trang by bus and then flying to HCMC from there.

I have also heard alot of mixed opinions about Dalat, is it worth visiting or should we just add on a few extra nights somewhere else instead & fly straight from Nha Trang to HCMC?

#1 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 13:25

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mlr

I used a Sinh Cafe bus, it left at 7:00 am and took 5 hours. The price was around US$4.50 (from memory).

I liked Dalat a lot. It is very different to the rest of Vietnam; cooler, more European, hillier.

I had the best coffee anywhere in the world at Dalat (in a place diagonally opposite the rail station). It was like an Italian espresso but with a good moccha twist and wonderfully sweet (but not sickenly). Still remember. :)

The CBD area of Dalat is OK, but I loved the outlying areas, especially all the waterfalls. The trip to Elephant falls also included silkworm farm, etc. The crazy house is a must if architectural fantasy is appealing.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 14:06

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

The new road is a beauty, although you won't find it in the "Giao thông đường bộ Việt Nam". It goes from Nha Trang through Khanh Vinh and then up to Dalat.

Not sure if the buses are going on the new road though - probably still going through Cam Ranh to pick up people along the way.

Check out the roller coaster at Datanla in Dalat .... good fun!

#3 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 14:46

• mlr

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2009

I do like bizarre architecture and like the look of the surrounding areas around Dalat so i think it will be worth adding in to our itinerary now.

If we were to get the early morning bus to get there by lunchtime and then take the early evening flight to HCMC will 2 nights be enough to allow us to take a look around?

#4 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 15:22

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mlr

From my memory, the bus didn't actually leave till some time after 7, maybe 7:20. And, it made a couple of drink/toilet stops. From my memory, it arrived closer to 1:00 than 12. But, that's Vietnam.

The flight leaves about 11, if my memory serves. So, essentially, you'd have one full day - would that be for you to look around town on your own, or would you do a Dalat Easy rider? If the latter, then the crazy house in the arvo of arrival, a day on the bikes... you'd get a brief taste.

cheers

#5 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 18:04

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just an FYI update to this thread...

I took a bus from Nha Trang to Dalat just two days ago (March 30, 2010) and the bus definitely took the new road. We left Nha Trang around 8:30am and arrived by 12:30pm. That said, the road is slow and there are still some unfinished parts that are very bumpy detours on dirt at the moment, but I'm guessing in a few months that will be history.

In other news, the Xuan Huong Lake, which is the supposed scenic heart of the city, was evidently drained for maintenance in January 2010 and won't be refilled until sometime in 2011. It's a small matter, but worth knowing before you commit. A mountain town with a drained lake loses a bit of its charm.

#6 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 21:53

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Dalat is one of the nicest and most unique places in VN - don't pass it up. I took the Mai Linh Express van from NT on the new road - not at all bad, and later flew down to Saigon on VN Air. The Dalat/Central Highlands area is a huge agricultural area (flowers, fruits, coffee, veggies) and has some of the best produce, and with the French influence of days gone by, Dalat has some damn good places to eat (great pastry, dried fruit, French/Vietnamese food). Waterfalls are spectacular in the area too.

#7 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 00:38

• jonbone

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

i used sinh cafe bus as well, very cool great trip!

#8 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 09:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Road from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By claire87uk on 21 Apr 2014 3 734 29 Apr 2014
New Scenic Road from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By alohatiger on 7 May 2008 2 4253 7 May 2008
Mui Ne to Dalat- best road? ... By justinmac on 26 Apr 2011 1 2557 12 Jun 2011
Nha Trang, Mui Ne, Dalat ... By Evahu_210 on 12 May 2009 1 3660 12 May 2009
Dalat to Nha Trang ... By MorrieC on 2 Jan 2011 5 11042 5 Feb 2011
night bus from Nha Trang to Dalat ... By npeng on 3 May 2009 4 5143 6 May 2009
Nha Trang - Dalat (Motortour) ... By bartdebruijn87 on 27 Aug 2012 3 2764 18 Sep 2012
Easy Riders Nha Trang and Dalat ... By Jogilroy on 11 Aug 2007 1 3446 12 Aug 2007
Visit to HCMC/ DALAT/ N.TRANG/ MUI NE ... By KIPPERTHAI on 18 Mar 2010 0 3324 18 Mar 2010
Ho Chi Minh - Dalat - Nha Trang - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay ... By gladysymho on 2 May 2011 4 7169 18 May 2011