Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Booking trains in advance

Posted by Rohan on 13/8/2009 at 07:16

I will be flying into Saigon on to morning of 28 December and am looking to take the overnight train that night to Denang/Hoi An. From what I have read, I am unlikely to be able to buy a ticket on the day.

Can anyone recommend a travel agent to make the booking through?

#1 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by violets on 16/8/2009 at 10:43

You are likely to be able to buy a hard sleeper or at least a soft seat. I found the soft seat surprisingly comfortable and, since almost everyone else will be Vietnamese, a pleasant and interesting trip. You will get meals and a blanket and the seat goes back and is quite comfortable.

#2 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by BruceMoon on 17/8/2009 at 13:43

Rohan

Did you particularly want to rail it?

Another option is to fly to Danang (go look at Jetstar.com).

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Rohan on 18/8/2009 at 12:22

Thanks Violets. When was it that you traveled by rail? My impression is that tourism in Vietnam is changing quite rapidly and once someone has a new scam, everyone else will jump on board pretty fast. This may of course be completely wrong. However, I have read stuff elsewhere that suggests travel agents buy up the tickets for what seems like scalping (although this seems largely on the Hoi An to Hue part of the line).

Bruce, since your post I have had a look at flights - a lot cheaper than I thought!

I may look to fly straight from Saigon to Danang when I arrive. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to clear customs? I need to make sure I leave a reasonable amount of time to make the connecting flight.

#4 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by BruceMoon on 18/8/2009 at 12:46

Rohan

Most discount carriers claim to be point to point. Which means they don't care about YOUR follow on. Give yourself about 3 hours after landing (minimum) to board the next flight (internal) [+ 1 hour for international].

Cheers

#5 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.