Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

easyriding in a car

  • justwonderi-

    Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009
    Posts: 20

    I haven't been able to find the answer to this question elsewhere in teh forum, apologies if I've just missed it. I had my heart set on doing the easyrider thing from Hoi An to Dalat over 5 or 6 days. Unfortunately the b*ggers at my travel insurance company won't cover me without a motorcycle licence, even if I'm only a passenger. Suffice to say i don't have a licence.

    I haven't really been able to find any information about hiring a car and driver/guide to do the same trip. There will be two of us travelling. Can anyone shed any light on our options? Any help appreciated.

    #1 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 10:11

  • Advertisement

  • Rohan

    Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009
    Posts: 63

    Are you sure? My policy (with 1cover) lets me ride as a passenger provided the driver is licensed for Vietnam. It will not let me drive unless I have a motorbike license at home.

    #2 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 10:25

  • justwonderi-

    Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009
    Posts: 20

    Unfortunately yes,I rang and checked because it seemed so unreasonable.

    #3 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 04:54

  • violets

    Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Posts: 151
    Total reviews: 28

    We went by car from Dalat to Kon Tum over 4 days for, I think, $400 plus the cost of our hotel rooms (cheap and pretty good). There were 3 of us. We asked the easy rider guys in the Peace cafe and they found us a great guide. The driver and car were organised through the Dreams hotel. We had a nearly new minibus with good seat belts and the driver (husband of Dreams owner) was sensible and drove safely. If there's only you I'm sure you could do a better deal with a smaller car, though you may still need a separate driver and guide. We could have had a longer trip if we'd wanted.

    #4 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 10:18

  • leevietnam

    Joined Travelfish
    16th August, 2009
    Posts: 1

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    For Hoi An to Dalat through Ho Chi Minh trail and via Central highlands is great trip by motorcycle.
    Fee free email me if you would like to see culture, customs of Vietnam (That we say to see real Vietnam on wheels)
    Happy travel

    #5 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 20:32

  • BruceMoon

    Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Posts: 1941
    Total reviews: 6


    In Vietnam, you hire the car AND driver (the rules, mate). There are several companies offering such services. The only difficulty is whether the driver has any semblance of English. The driver will NOT be a tour guide (unlike the easy rider).

    For car firms, look here and here or here .

    Hope this helps.


    #6 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 14:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee