Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Trying to decide between Hue/Hoi An and Phu Quoc / Dalat

• alexandra13

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for days and have found so much good information and great ideas - thank you!

Now I have too many great ideas and am wondering if you can help with a decision... We are planning an 18 day trip to Cambodia and Vietnam from Sept 16 - Oct 3. We plan to fly in to Vietnam and back home from Cambodia. We are having trouble deciding how best to spend our time in Vietnam - though we have narrowed it down to the south so as to make crossing into Cambodia easier. We have 3-4 days that we could either spend in Hue / Hoi An or in Phu Quoc (and use one of the extra days for a day-trip from HCMC to Dalat). We had originally thought to relax on the island, but then reading about Hue and Hoi An makes us think it might be worth going up there, though admittedly it is pushing it, time-wise. The itinerary would look something like this:

1 Arrive Da Nang afternoon - bus to Hue
    2 Hue
    3 Hue / Travel to Hoi An
    4 Hoi An
    5 Flight to Saigon / Saigon
    6 Saigon
    7 Mekong
    8 Mekong
    9 Boat to Phnom Penh
    10 PP
    11 PP
    12 Travel to Siem Reap / SR
    13 SR
    14 SR
    15 SR
    16 Battambang
    17 BTT back to SR
    18 Fly out of SR

So, the question is, on a trip this length, would the time be better spent flying straight in to Saigon and adding those 3-4 days to Phu Quoc after a Mekong Delta tour, then travelling by land/boat up to PP from the island? That alternative would look like this:

1 travel to Saigon
    2 Saigon
    3 Saigon / Dalat
    4 Dalat
    5 Dalat / Saigon
    6 Mekong
    7 Mekong
    8 Phu Quoc
    9 Phu Quoc
    10 Phu Quoc
    11 Travel to PP
    12 PP
    13 PP / SR
    14 SR
    15 SR
    16 SR
    17 SR
    18 Fly out of SR

Thanks so much for any suggestions you might have!

#1 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 01:50

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Alexandra,

Arriving in Hoi An in mid Sept may not be the best time at all to lay on the beach - http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:VMXX0028&q=%C4%90%C3%A0+Nang%2c+VNM

On the other hand Phu Quoc will be much drier, maybe the odd shower but deffo warmer... Rach Gia gives you an idea http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:7195640&q=Rach+Gi%C3%A1%2c+VNM

page down a little on both to get seasonal averages and precip...

A very weather-centric view of things for you there...

#2 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 03:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SO, you're looking at commencing your trip in Saigon or Da Nang -- right?

If the later, then I'd def go see Hoi An , then return to Da Nang and fly to Saigon, if the former, I'd stick to the south and save Hoi An for another trip.

Also, bear in mind that if you go into the Delta, you can get the ferry to Phu Quoc Island rather than flying from Saigon, and then when you're done cross via the coastal border crossing into Kep in Cambodia, from where you can head north to Phnom Penh and onto Siem Reap.

See this story for details on the coastal route (you'll need to read the story backwards)

#3 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 09:33

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Hue is my favourite place in Vietnam, though I generally avoid the tourist area and stay on the citadel side of the river. For me, seeing the old citadel and a couple of the tombs and walking around different areas of the town gives a more "Vietnamese' experience than lying on a beach in a resort, although the town market on Phu Quoc is interesting. If you come from somewhere where there are no beaches you might feel quite different about this.

September is wet season on Phu Quoc and probably not a great time to be there anyway and, unless you're going to Rach Gia, takes a fair time to get to from the Mekong. There is a flight from Saigon.

#4 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 10:10

• alexandra13

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Thank you for all the helpful replies! I think we will try not to do too much and will stick to the south for this trip and save Hoi An, Hue and the rest of the north for next trip!

#5 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 00:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.