Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Postal service in Vietnam

• Remedy

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the postal service in Vietnam. I'm planning on shipping some items back to Europe when I get to Hoi An, but I'm a bit unsure whether the service is reliable or not.
    Also, does anyone know what would be the expected delivery time ?

Cheers,

#1 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 01:30

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

It's quite good. Shipping overseas usually means seamail - not exactly speedy! I had some figurines shipped from Hoi An to the USA in March and they took 4 months to arrive. If I had to do it over again, I believe I'd carry them with me. Fedex or DHL is another option - naturally much more $$$$$.

#2 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 06:42

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I've used the postal system in Vietnam a lot and have never lost anything, although a few times things have been held up in customs in Australia. To Australia it takes from 6 weeks to 3 months seamail but I have had things arrive in less than a week airmail.

The post office will pack things for you and insurance is cheap, giving you a number that means you can ring your local post office and find out where your parcel is.

Hoi An post office has staff very experienced at packing even quite fragile things.

#3 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 10:01

• Remedy

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

That sounds good. Thanks for all the input.

#4 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 21:17

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Unfortunately for customers about 3 years ago the Post Office decided to privatize "EMS" courier service and overnight they doubled their rates making them equal in some cases with FedEx, UPS, etc.! This effectively killed off the tourist buying sprees coupled with relatively low cost to ship thru Post Office overseas.

Whatever is done in VN always, always hold someone responsible and sign for delivery! by this I mean always use ONLY registered mail, courier (requiring signature by receiver), etc. Even sending mail to VN the same methods MUST be used; if not posted correctly posted items never reach their destination and somehow disappear in transit! If you get signatures and make people responsible generally they will be responsible and your posted items will be delivered.

#5 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 17:43

• nworbd

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Motodop is right. Be very careful. I have had packages inbound to me get lost in the system and disappear. If you are sending a lot of stuff, merchants in Hoi An can arrange to sea freight it to you -- of course, you'll have to wrestle it thru customs at home. David in Hanoi

#6 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 17:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 questions: Rainy day activities in Nha trang, and postal service in Vietnam ... By kramer05 on 22 Oct 2008 1 1414 31 Oct 2008