Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Starting a Mekong Delta Tour from Rach Gia

Posted by alexandra13 on 20/8/2009 at 00:23

Hello again,

We have more or less figured out our route from HCMC to Siem Reap over 15 days thanks to help from this forum. But, a few questions remain...!

After HCMC we are flying to Phu Quoc, and then we want to go from Rach Gia to Chau Doc to take the boat up to Phnom Penh. We'd like to spend a few days in the Mekong Delta but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a route (or tour, as long as it is small) that would take us from Rach Gia to Chau Doc while looping around and seeing things over 2-3 days. I know most people do this in reverse order, but we are hoping stick with Phu Quoc first, and then Mekong Delta. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know if there are any boats leaving from Chau Doc in the afternoon heading up to Phnom Penh?

Thanks so much!

#1 alexandra13 has been a member since 14/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/8/2009 at 07:10 admin

Boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh leaves in the morning.

You could go something like Rach Gia -> Can Thao -> Vinh Long -> Chau Doc.

No need to do a tour, all are easily interconnected by bus. Would suggest visiting the floating markets in both Can Tho and Vinh Long, latter also has some very well regarded homestays, which mas be interesting if you want to experience living right by the river.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,504
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Nokka on 21/8/2009 at 19:50

Somtam's route is exactly the one my wife & I aim to do late december. Looks very easy and definitely plan to do a homestay near to Vinh Long. (Can be booked through Agents in Vinh Long).

I spent a bit of time researching whether there was such a thing as a tour from Rach Gia, but couldn't find one; they all seem to go from Saigon. However, I think, after doing more reading, that to do it independently will be much much more satisfying. eg you can get a small sampan from Can Tho very early morning to take you to the floating market. You get there early (ie before all the tour boats arrive), plus, as you have such a small vessel you can get right in there.

#3 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by alexandra13 on 27/8/2009 at 03:18

Thanks for the replies! I think we will definitely explore the area on our own. You mentioned organizing home stays with agents in Vinh Long - is this pretty self explanatory once you arrive there? Is there one in particular to look out for?

Thanks!

#4 alexandra13 has been a member since 14/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/8/2009 at 07:01 admin

Go stand by the water's edge and within about four point two nanoseconds some boat dude will wander up and ask you if you want to do a homestay. There is also a tourist office there that you can arrange them through, but it isn't required.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,504
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.