Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Kayaking in Ha Long

• joecool

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2009

Hi,

5 years ago, I did a 3 day (2 night) kayaking trip in Ha Long with Handspan. The trip was quite expensive, but worth it for me. As far as I know, Handspan is/was the only company with a base camp on one of the islands, away from the tourist boats and noise.

Unfortunately, they do not seem to be offering the 3 day trip anymore, only a shortened 2 day version. So, my questions...

1) Has anybody done this 2 day kayaking trip? What was your experience?

2) Are there any other companies that offer similar trips with kayaking and camping/base camp accommodation?

3) Am I correct in believing that Handspan is the only company that actually has a base camp?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Joe

#1 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 15:10

• Advertisement

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Hi Joe,

My husband and I've just had a great experience in Halong bay. We stayed onboard the Pinta Gold which exceeded our expectations as it was comfort in a most friendly and casual atmostphere.

The room was beautifully and simply decorated, clean and was supplied with essentials such as shampoo, body lotion, etc. The staff were superb, always there whenever we needed their help, but not always in our face.

As the tides were up that day, we kayaked to all of the 3 hidden lagoons which was lovely. The water was deep clean, calm and the views were stunning. We were picked up by the tender on the way back as we'd paddled a very long way from where we spent the night.

Sorry as camping isn't our thing, so have no idea about this.

Good luck.

Rebecca

#2 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 15:59

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Pinta/Columbus boats have a kayaking trip included in the cost (as mentioned above). You'll paddle through some tunnels into lagoons - your group will be the only ones in there.

No beach camps but they do a lunch on a private beach as part of their 3 day tours. You can also go trekking on the 3 day trip.

Have a good trip.

#3 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 13:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.