Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Learn the language on line

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good (preferably free) online resource for learning Vietnamese.

I have googled for this and there are heaps of sites out there, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

#1 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 16:16

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Whoops sorry just found this link http://www.travelfish.org/asia-language.php

#2 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 19:10

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

#3 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 09:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

KazAussie, do you mean a course or phrasebook style thing?

#4 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 09:24

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I just wanted to learn a bit of the language before I get there. Just common phrases and sayings. The link I quoted above takes you to intrepid traveller but it is very very basic.

If I can't get something on line I will buy a phrase book with a cd. I think I would prefer to hear the language spoken and try and replicate it rather than get phonetic spellings of words.

#5 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 14:47

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Most difficult are tones and language varies so much from North to South even VN people often misunderstand each other! best get a phrase book and learn within each region based on local tones. Simple phrases like hello, etc. are common so simple phrasebook will help.

As a foreigner VN expect English to come out of your mouth & not their language! this is a major problem in communications in VN!

#6 Posted: 30/8/2009 - 20:05

• minhnguyen1-

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi KazAussie
    What is the language you are speaking ?
    If you speak english, i can teach you Vietnamese online
    Of course no fee.
    i'm working at the office, so i just have a free hour everyday at noon to teach you.
    How about you ?

#7 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 10:29

• minhnguyen1-

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

one more
    I'm Vietnamese
    I'm leaving in Hanoi, Vietnam

#8 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 10:31

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thank you very much for your kind offer Minh, but I am looking more for something I can study in my own time.

Regards

Karen

#9 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 18:00

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Byki all the way. I have been using it to learn Korean and have memorized about 1700 words/phrases since April. Still a long way to go but without this program it wouldn't have been possible to get to where I am.

Download the trial version and see how you like it. If its for you the full version is like 40-50$.

Also learn how to read their characters and dont memorized the romanized verson.

#10 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 20:48

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks Mattocmd. I will give that a try.

Pablot thank you for your comments. I know it is a tonal language and that it can be quite different in different districts. However, I have traveled quite extensively and have learned that if you know a few simple phrases people are appreciative and much more willing to help.

I put myself in their situation, if someone came up to me in the street and started talking in gobbldy-**** (which is what a foreign language sounds like to someone that doesn't speak it), I would be much less responsive than if they said to me something like "excuse me, can you help me"... and then body and sign language can get you a long way.

So at the very least before visiting a country I try and learn... please, thank you, excuse me, can you help me, I am sorry I only speak English.

If I can also ask for directions, room costs, where is the bus station etc, that is a bonus.

I also try and learn phrases that refer to family ... is this your son, daughter, etc and if at all possible to ask them about themselves.

That is my approach, although I would love to have the time to be able to learn enough to converse, this usually only happens after months in country, so a few niceties have to suffice.

#11 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 15:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.