Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cat Ba to Halong Bay and Halong City

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hi,

I've got a flight booked to HAiphong. From there I'd like to go to Cat Ba and Halong Bay. I was thinking of going to Halong City from there instead of Haiphong and head to HAnoi from there? Does this make any sense? I can't seem to find any kind of cheap accomodation fromm Haiphong or any tour starting from there...Any suggestions???

Thanks a million!!!

#1 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 20:37

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Pokol

I suggest you are going to have to do everything on your own. My understanding is that 'tours' begin and end at HaNoi.

For more look..

here for some info

and here

And, an overview, see:

this 'story' and this for transport options

For accommodation, go to this site:

http://www.travelfish.org/country/vietnam

On the left is a blue box under the words Jump to a destination put your mouse on the Hanoi & Surrounds to show several destinations. Click on the preferred, and when the page opens, click on Accommodation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 06:40

• nworbd

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

You don't need to go to Hanoi . From Haiphong's Lac Long bus station, there are frequent 'Hoang Long' buses to Cat Ba Town, about an hour's trip including a stretch by fast speedboat, around 40,000 dong if I remember right.

There is a daily ferryboat, about 50,000 dong, from Cat Ba Town to Ha Long, 2.5 hours along a superbly beautiful route. It leaves the pier in the middle of the esplanade precisely at 7 am. The ride ends near the big market in Hong Gai, the administrative section of Ha Long City. If you crave the tourist zone (brighter lights and higher prices), take a xe om (motorcycle taxi, about 50,000 dong) across the bridge to the Bai Chay tourist strip.

In Bai Chay you can negotiate the standard tourist excursion onto the Bay, if you wish (not essential if you have taken the ferry) and you can find lots of buses heading for Hanoi at the Bai Chai bus station, 60,000 dong last I did it. Strongly recommend one of the KumHo buses.

There is also a new ferry route from Gia Luan (on the thinly populated northern part of Cat Ba Island) to the Tuan Chau resort on the mainland. You don't want that, I think. Good luck, David in Hanoi

#3 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 17:20

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Sounds good...

Thanks a lot!!!

#4 Posted: 31/8/2009 - 18:11

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Some questions to this answer:

You don't need to go to Hanoi . From Haiphong's Lac Long bus station, there are frequent 'Hoang Long' buses to Cat Ba Town, about an hour's trip including a stretch by fast speedboat, around 40,000 dong if I remember right.

BUS? I THOUGHT IT WAS A FERRY? IM A BIT CONFUSED WITH THIS...

There is a daily ferryboat, about 50,000 dong, from Cat Ba Town to Ha Long, 2.5 hours along a superbly beautiful route. It leaves the pier in the middle of the esplanade precisely at 7 am. The ride ends near the big market in Hong Gai, the administrative section of Ha Long City. If you crave the tourist zone (brighter lights and higher prices), take a xe om (motorcycle taxi, about 50,000 dong) across the bridge to the Bai Chay tourist strip.

In Bai Chay you can negotiate the standard tourist excursion onto the Bay, if you wish (not essential if you have taken the ferry) and you can find lots of buses heading for Hanoi at the Bai Chai bus station, 60,000 dong last I did it. Strongly recommend one of the KumHo buses.

KUMHO BUSES...CAN I BOOK AT THE BUS STATION? HOW LONG FROM HALONG CITY TO HANOI?

There is also a new ferry route from Gia Luan (on the thinly populated northern part of Cat Ba Island) to the Tuan Chau resort on the mainland. You don't want that, I think. Good luck, David in Hanoi

THIS INFO YOU'VE GIVEN ME IS JUST GREAT!

LAST QUESTION: ANY CHEAP HOSTEL IN HAIPHONG YOU CAN SUGGEST?????

THANKS A MILLION!!!

#5 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
heading to ha giang from halong bay city? ... By melmariet on 16 Feb 2013 1 1589 16 Feb 2013
Cat Ba/ Halong City to Danang by water ... By 02091611 on 30 Nov 2009 2 1988 3 Dec 2009
Arranging a cruise from Halong City? ... By TomSawyer on 1 Jul 2009 3 3574 2 Jul 2009
Halong Bay -- Annam Junk and making a 6p flight after Halong -- any feedback? ... By jburkland on 8 Nov 2007 2 1607 10 Nov 2007