Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

hai van pass by motorbike

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

hi all
    I want to go from Danang to Hue over the Hai Van Pass by mototbike.
    How easy is it to rent a bike for about 4 days from Danang, how long will the trip take, what size bike do you reccomend, weather in February and any other advice you have for me would be appreciated

#1 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 04:42

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

roy

The only 'hassle' will be how to return your bike to DaNang.

The road is good. The riding great fun. My wife & I did this road section about 18 months ago on a 110cc 'bike'.

DaNang to Hue is about 4 to 5 hours - straight ride, but you'd be mad not to take it slow and enjoy all there is to offer. For example, Lang Co beach is worth a stop, as is Suoi Voi (Elephant Springs). You could also take a detour to Bach Ma, though I'd want only one per bike for that ride.

As for hai Van Pass, most of the road traffic uses the tunnel, so its' really no big deal regarding traffic. The only road section that's 'hairy' is a short range section between Lang Co & Phu Loc: the orad goes over a range which is a bit tight and uninviting. The rest is OK.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:54

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

thanks Bruce, very helpful, I think we will try to get a 100cc bike each, and we knew we would have to return or bikes to danang as that is where our onward flights leave from, a one way rental would have been better and fly from hue, but not possible,so a ride back over the hai van pass a few days later is ok, after all we are on holiday.
    Will defianately stop at the beach and elephant springs.
    thanks again

#3 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 18:02

• jcobbe

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2007

It's a nice trip -- I did it in 2008 on a 97cc Honda, no problem at all, though it is a bit boring the last stretch from back at sea level to Hue . One thing to note -- the main road goes through the tunnel, from which motorbikes are banned, but it is relatively easy to miss the turn off to the pass (don't worry, you'll be turned back before you get to the tunnel), especially coming back from Hue to Da Nang . The only traffic other than bikes going over the pass are petrol tankers (banned from the tunnel) and the very occasional tourist bus (the standard buses all go through the tunnel). There are some great views of Da Nang from the side of the road going up on the Da Nang side.

#4 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 06:54

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

cheers jcobbe, looking forward to it now, was thinking of trying to get the bike on the train for the return journey to danang, but think i will ride back as well

#5 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 05:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.