Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How to Have a Life in Vietnam? American, 28 yrs old, wants to know!

• semisage

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009

I want to go back to Vietnam. Back in 2006, during my first and only trip, I got to spend only 30 days. Just this short time was long enough to fall in love with your country. That is to say, my experiences were great although there's a lot more to discover.

That's what I'm looking at now... how to go back, what to do for work (I love teaching), and wondering if it's possible to be lucky enough to meet that "special someone" (soulmate). It's every desire rolled into one. I'm engulfed with planning for a life again in Asia and settling down there, even at my young age. I'm fascinated by the day-to-day life around the world. That's a type of fascination I'd like to dedicate the rest of my life to. Of course, the natural way that these things normally unfold is just to be there. However, what I'm doing here is just trying to create some opportunities for myself. If you don't try then nothing develops... this includes job opportunities, moving half way around the world, falling in love, or anything else.

I think that living in Asia for the long-term will be better than in the U.S. I do like the U.S. I love certain aspects, but not many cultural aspects. It's because in my humble opinion "the East" has several advantages over "the West". I like how families are closer and people are more dutiful toward society. This is not the case in the West where individualism seems to rule all. What I'd like to do is work to become less individualist. I'm non-religious, but I love how a mix of Buddhism / Taoism / Confucianism is the default day-to-day life in Vietnam. I'd like to aspire to be something more than I am today.

I've had a fairly successful life. Success is usually in the eye of the beholder. Which is to say I've taken a different path. Most of the last eight years has been spent living outside of the U.S. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but otherwise, I have a wealth of life experiences. Friends from school have already settled down and had kids. However, I don't just wish to follow in their footsteps. Actually, I grew up in a "broken house" with neither a mom nor a dad. Therefore, it's been one of my life goals to have my own family since I was about 10 years old. Yep, when I was 10 years old this was on my mind.

I'm now 28 years old. Over the past few years I was working in China and then New Zealand. I took a backpacking trip to Europe for three months recently. I'd like ideally to be in Vietnam by November, 2009 or in early 2010. It needs some planning. Anywhere you live can become home. Yet I'm seeking a place that has wild nature, strong Asian culture, and relatively inexpensive cost-of-living. That's why Vietnam would be a good match.

I'm a writer. I've published five books and poetry and currently drudging through editing my next book. I also have web site projects which I'm working on. I enjoy the simple and less expensive side of life. I like long walks and make sure to do exercises twice a day. Mainly I prefer to have a healthy diet. No piercings / tattoos. No diseases. All in all I think I'm pretty boring. Natural brown hair and pure brown eyes.

Feel free to send me a message!

Shaun :o)

#1 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 06:05

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Shaun

Perhaps the most important aspect to 'living' in Vietnam is not discussed in your 'conversation': access to money - and how much you have to take/bring with you.

Those expats I've spoken with say that that 'item' holds the key.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 08:01

• minhnguyen1-

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi
    Welcome you to our country. I think it's not difficult to stay in Vietnam. You can make a travel passport and then change it as a work passport when you have a job in a company in Vietnam. It's also not difficult to find a place to teach in Vietnam. you even operate a private class yourself. Oh, i don't know what you intend to teach.
    Nice to meet you.
    Hope to see you in Hanoi.

#3 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 10:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"That's what I'm looking at now... how to go back, what to do for work (I love teaching), and wondering if it's possible to be lucky enough to meet that "special someone" (soulmate)."

Kid, I hate to say this, but you're in for a hard fall. I know, because I've been down this road several times myself.

Look, for women in general, and most definitely for Asian women, it's about the money. Everyone is going to poo poo this - they're all lying. They don't want to be honest. Women seek security from a mate, and in this world, money means security. Where life is a struggle (such as Vietnam) this factor counts much more than where there is more social security from the State (such as Europe).

I live in Thailand, and I love it here. But I'm not under any illusions. If my wife found a guy who had twice the money, I'd be traded away in a New York minute. She just isn't going to find that, so I'm pretty secure.

Do you have a degree? You didn't mention that. If you do, you could teach (in Vietnam, maybe without, I don't know).

Bruce is right, go work on an oil rig, or take a job with KBR in Afghanistan for a while and sock away some real money for a rainy day, and then you could teach in Vietnam. If you have any real skills otherwise, that MIGHT translate into work there.

The notion that the East has some sort of deep, romantic soul that the west lacks is, in my opinion, nonsense. But then, I'm a pretty hard guy and not very spiratual. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway, this is not to discourage you. My son is doing the same thing at age 22 (course he's got daddy to help him out). I think it's a great idea to get out and see the world. I left the US in the mid-80s and have barely been back since. I would just advise trying not to get caught up in the romance of the place. It's a smoke screen. People are people everywhere in the world.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 12:48

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Man I don't feel like reading through that long post.

Degree or not you can teach there. Easier and better pay with a degree but if you don't have one just go hang out with the foreign English teachers, visit private language schools, etc.

If you want a woman than don't try to find one through this site, just go there, dress nicely (**** even have some things tailored) and go to some bars and clubs, im sure its not that hard.

#5 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 18:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"If you want a woman than don't try to find one through this site, just go there, dress nicely (**** even have some things tailored) and go to some bars and clubs, im sure its not that hard."

Not even that hard. But, if you want a quality woman, I suggest you look at professional women. At least they have their own money - which means yours is less of a factor.

#6 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 22:00

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Get off your **** and just go do it! Don't listen to anyone - especially your mind. VN is lovely and the world of spirits and of physical is so close it is easy to live free in the deepest sense. States is lovely too - just a mind game in a different way. Ah yes, the women.....

#7 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 07:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.