Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Halong - What Type of Cruise

Posted by ecurry33 on 3/9/2009 at 20:46

Hi all,
After reading many good things about Columbus Cruises, Red Dragon and several others, I am still confused. I am particularly keen on finding a boat with a cabin to hold 3 people, one that does not anchor next to all the other boats, has kayaking and night fishing, and numerous, sumptuous servings of fresh seafood.

Here is a listing of cruises by category that I found at cruisehalong.com - can anyone help me figure out what the general diffeernces are in the differnet cruise cateogries?

Superior : Oriental Sails | Phoenix cruise | Bai Tu Long junk | Classic Sail | Spice Cruise | Bien Ngoc cruise | An Nam Junk

Deluxe cruises: Lagoon Explorer | Huong Hai cruise | Red Dragon cruise | Pearly Sea cruise | Hai Long cruise | Bai Tho cruise | Jewel of bay | White Dolphin

Luxury cruises: Emotion cruise | Paradise cruise | Victory Star | Ginger cruise | Indochina Sails | Jasmine cruise | Bhaya cruise | Princess cruise | Prince cruise | Emeraude Classic | Victory Cruise

thanks all,
EC

#1 ecurry33 has been a member since 28/8/2009. Posts: 12

Posted by BruceMoon on 4/9/2009 at 04:23

EC

I haven't a clue.

I do know that each operator will use words to try and make their boat/cruise sound wonderful (that's human).

As to a cabin that sleeps 3 people, I suggest you ask the various operators by email and get your results that way. Also ask them if they offer the kayaking, etc., where they moor overnight - and compare to a map of the area.

As to heaps of servings of 'fresh seafood', if you want (say) steamed whole fish, or prawns, etc., I suggest on that you might be wanting too much.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by mscmark on 4/9/2009 at 10:39

Hi,

We are inclining towards Columbus Tours after Moon's and many others' recommendation.

Initially we want to take the Pinta Gold, but the problem is that we'll meet up with 3 of our friends in Halong bay, so there are 5 of us in total. We just got a reply from the company saying that we'll need 3 cabins as there is no triple cabin on the Pinta Gold and the single one has to pay the supplement of 45$. It's fair but out of our budget anyway.

The other option offered is that we take the Pinta Cruiser instead as the triple cabin is available on the date we want. Well, it seems the best option for us at the moment.

#3 mscmark has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by roynolan on 4/9/2009 at 13:01

I have found that these are out of my budget as well, and at the moment I am looking into going to Haiphong then trying to charter a boat to get to Hang Dau Go, Hang Bo Nau, Hang Sung Sot and maybe a few others but on a faster boat than a junk, but if anyone has information on this I would be grateful

#4 roynolan has been a member since 29/1/2009. Posts: 48

Posted by roynolan on 4/9/2009 at 13:02

I have found that these are out of my budget as well, and at the moment I am looking into going to Haiphong then trying to charter a boat to get to Hang Dau Go, Hang Bo Nau, Hang Sung Sot and maybe a few others but on a faster boat than a junk, but if anyone has information on this I would be grateful

#5 roynolan has been a member since 29/1/2009. Posts: 48

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.