Vietnam forum

Mobiles and telephones

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi,

I have an older style mobile that I will be taking with me on my trip that has an appropriate plug.

A friend suggested I should buy a pre-paid phone card for the phone when I land in Hanoi and then use this to keep in contact with family in Australia.

I have a few queries on this and my apologies if they are a little simple but this is all new to me.

When I purchase the card, do I need to give the telephone number and country code to my family in Aus? I assume I would use country codes too if I text them?

Is there good mobile coverage all over Vietnam or only in city areas?

#1 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:40

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Puggles

On my visits to Vietnam, I buy a pre-paid sim card for my (older model) phone. The call costs to Australia vary between providers - some are cheaper for calls to Australia than others. My experience is that mobile coverage is everywhere (as the gov't appears to be investing in that over land lines).

Check this post:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6171_sim-cards-in-vietnam-

Cheers

#2 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:58

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks BruceMoon. :)

#3 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 10:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.