Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Can Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi be done in 12 days?

Posted by fwen on 5/9/2009 at 20:48

Hi,

I am traveling to Vietnam in December.. I am looking for tips of what to cram in whilst I am there.

Can it be done in 12 days?

Any information on routes etc that anyone has travelled would be great.

Thanks

Emma-Jane x

#1 fwen has been a member since 5/9/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by chrispyrolls on 6/9/2009 at 04:28

Hi Emma-Jane,

I would suggest you fly in between places and go from HCMC to Hue , see there and take a couple of days in Hoi An, then fly from Hue to Hanoi and from there take a trip to Halong Bay. This would give you a few days in each place and also let you see the main tourist trail. You don't want to spend all your time travelling, so don't try to do too much...

Have fun, Vietnam is a great place

Chris

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/9/2009 at 06:13 admin

Look at the highlights you want to do & then put it together from there.

Ha Long Bay two day one night trip
Hanoi two day of sight seeing
Hoi An two days
Nha Trang or Mui Ne two days
Saigon two days

So the easiest leg to fly on that is Da Nang (for Hoi An) to Hanoi.

So you could do something like:
1 Arrive Saigon
2 Saigon
3 Night train to Nha Trang
4 Nha Trang
5 Transit to Hoi An
6 Hoi An
7 Hoi An
8 transit to Da Nang for flight to Hanoi
9 Hanoi
10 Ha Long Bay
11 Ha Long Bay
12 Hanoi and exit.

That's one way to skin it!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/9/2009 at 06:29

Emma-Jane

Like Chris, I suggest fly between a couple of places

To my way of thinking, the most significant word in your request is cram.

If the purpose of your trip is to see as many places as possible, then cram yourself into a plane every other day and stay a day at half a dozen or so places.

If the purpose of your trip is to experience a series of vignettes of Vietnam, then plan to stay 2 or 3 days at several locations, and fly between.

As you'll note from the contents of the post here you will need to make a trade-off between racing across the countryside or enjoying yourself.

In 12 days, at (say) 3 days a piece, that means 4 locations (at best). So, two options...

city/mountain/beach/city

3 days Saigon (HCNC),
3 days DaLat (fly SGN - DAL)
3 days Nha Trang (bus from DaLat)
3 days HaNoi. (fly from Nha Trang)

city/town-beach/city-Halong

3 days Saigon
4 days Danang for Hoi An (fly SGN - DNG, bus Hoi An)
5 days HaNoi (fly from DNG) [including overnight on HaLong Bay]

Obviously, there are other options, but these two offer an insight into how I suggest you fashion your travel so that you enjoy yourself, and at the same time experience a slice of Vietnamese life.

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by sevi87 on 6/9/2009 at 16:25

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey! We did it actually in 7 Days! Also without flying...We started in HCMC and just took a lot of night buses which turned out also to be cheap! Let me know if you need more info!

#5 sevi87 has been a member since 20/7/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by fwen on 6/9/2009 at 16:43

Hi all,

Thanks for the varied suggestions, it is good to get different points of view and the posts have gave me a lot to think about.

I wasn't really considering flying in Vietnam but I think now this may have to be added in.

Originally we were not going to be visiting Vietnam,due to my travel partner not being keen, although now I have mangaed to persuade her.

This is the reason we do not have long in the country. I would rather spend a few days experiencing each place and don't want to cram too much, just so I can say we have been there. There is always plenty of time to come back again.

What is considered a good budget airline in Vietnam?

Thanks xx

#6 fwen has been a member since 5/9/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/9/2009 at 17:42 admin

Jetstar is about as budget as Vietnam gets domestically, though a few LCCs fly in internationally. Their website is here: http://www.jetstar.com/

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/9/2009 at 19:48

Emma-Jane

Somtam is right when he writes that for domestic travel in Vietnam, Jetstar are generally cheaper than the alternative - Vietnam Air.

Interestingly, Vietnam Air is a full cost carrier, but often matches the Jetstar flight prices. So, don't only look at http://www.jetstar.com. also look at http://www.vietnamair.com.vn/wps/portal/vn/welcome/ (sometimes its best in IE7+). That way, you get to choose best price / best flight times.

If you fly into Vietnam on Vietnam Air, they have a discount (of up to 50%)...

Air Vietnam offers a pass in conjunction with international flights that allows for a discount of 50% on domestic flights to fifteen different destinations. Airpass is not mentioned at website and you will have to speak with Vietnam Air for more information.

Cheers

Cheers

#8 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.