Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Can Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi be done in 12 days?

• fwen

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Hi,

I am traveling to Vietnam in December.. I am looking for tips of what to cram in whilst I am there.

Can it be done in 12 days?

Any information on routes etc that anyone has travelled would be great.

Thanks

Emma-Jane x

#1 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 20:48

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Emma-Jane,

I would suggest you fly in between places and go from HCMC to Hue , see there and take a couple of days in Hoi An, then fly from Hue to Hanoi and from there take a trip to Halong Bay. This would give you a few days in each place and also let you see the main tourist trail. You don't want to spend all your time travelling, so don't try to do too much...

Have fun, Vietnam is a great place

Chris

#2 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 04:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Look at the highlights you want to do & then put it together from there.

Ha Long Bay two day one night trip
    Hanoi two day of sight seeing
    Hoi An two days
    Nha Trang or Mui Ne two days
    Saigon two days

So the easiest leg to fly on that is Da Nang (for Hoi An) to Hanoi.

So you could do something like:
    1 Arrive Saigon
    2 Saigon
    3 Night train to Nha Trang
    4 Nha Trang
    5 Transit to Hoi An
    6 Hoi An
    7 Hoi An
    8 transit to Da Nang for flight to Hanoi
    9 Hanoi
    10 Ha Long Bay
    11 Ha Long Bay
    12 Hanoi and exit.

That's one way to skin it!

#3 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 06:13

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Emma-Jane

Like Chris, I suggest fly between a couple of places

To my way of thinking, the most significant word in your request is cram.

If the purpose of your trip is to see as many places as possible, then cram yourself into a plane every other day and stay a day at half a dozen or so places.

If the purpose of your trip is to experience a series of vignettes of Vietnam, then plan to stay 2 or 3 days at several locations, and fly between.

As you'll note from the contents of the post here you will need to make a trade-off between racing across the countryside or enjoying yourself.

In 12 days, at (say) 3 days a piece, that means 4 locations (at best). So, two options...

city/mountain/beach/city

3 days Saigon (HCNC),
    3 days DaLat (fly SGN - DAL)
    3 days Nha Trang (bus from DaLat)
    3 days HaNoi. (fly from Nha Trang)

city/town-beach/city-Halong

3 days Saigon
    4 days Danang for Hoi An (fly SGN - DNG, bus Hoi An)
    5 days HaNoi (fly from DNG) [including overnight on HaLong Bay]

Obviously, there are other options, but these two offer an insight into how I suggest you fashion your travel so that you enjoy yourself, and at the same time experience a slice of Vietnamese life.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 06:29

• sevi87

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey! We did it actually in 7 Days! Also without flying...We started in HCMC and just took a lot of night buses which turned out also to be cheap! Let me know if you need more info!

#5 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 16:25

• fwen

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Hi all,

Thanks for the varied suggestions, it is good to get different points of view and the posts have gave me a lot to think about.

I wasn't really considering flying in Vietnam but I think now this may have to be added in.

Originally we were not going to be visiting Vietnam,due to my travel partner not being keen, although now I have mangaed to persuade her.

This is the reason we do not have long in the country. I would rather spend a few days experiencing each place and don't want to cram too much, just so I can say we have been there. There is always plenty of time to come back again.

What is considered a good budget airline in Vietnam?

Thanks xx

#6 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 16:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Jetstar is about as budget as Vietnam gets domestically, though a few LCCs fly in internationally. Their website is here: http://www.jetstar.com/

#7 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 17:42

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Emma-Jane

Somtam is right when he writes that for domestic travel in Vietnam, Jetstar are generally cheaper than the alternative - Vietnam Air.

Interestingly, Vietnam Air is a full cost carrier, but often matches the Jetstar flight prices. So, don't only look at http://www.jetstar.com. also look at http://www.vietnamair.com.vn/wps/portal/vn/welcome/ (sometimes its best in IE7+). That way, you get to choose best price / best flight times.

If you fly into Vietnam on Vietnam Air, they have a discount (of up to 50%)...

Air Vietnam offers a pass in conjunction with international flights that allows for a discount of 50% on domestic flights to fifteen different destinations. Airpass is not mentioned at website and you will have to speak with Vietnam Air for more information.

Cheers

Cheers

#8 Posted: 6/9/2009 - 19:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Vietnam? ... By karigirl on 18 Aug 2011 4 5146 18 Aug 2011
How do we get to Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city (Vietnam) ... By soccersimo on 29 Dec 2006 2 2570 9 Jan 2007
Motorbike trip Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City ... By rich1 on 1 May 2014 1 524 7 May 2014
Vietnam Hanoi --> Hue --> Da Nang --> Nha Trang --> Ho Chi Minh City ... By aussiegirl on 15 Apr 2011 10 11024 16 Jun 2011
How many days will it take on motorbike from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi? ... By sel206 on 10 Mar 2011 1 5414 10 Mar 2011
4 days: From Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh? Mekong or Da Lat? Head spinning. ... By chatham5 on 26 Oct 2011 0 2166 26 Oct 2011