Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Massages in Vietnam??

• Peat

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Hi everybody, I just wanted to know whether we can find in Vietnam the same great massage places (good, reliable, cheap, on every corner) as in Thailand? Or is it different there? What should I know?

Thanks, Petra

#1 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 15:49

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Petra

Different culture, different government.

My understanding is that the Vietnamese gov't severely restricts massage options in Vietnam. While a couple of massage providers exist, I suggest they are few and far between.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 17:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

There used to be the Vietnamese traditional massage place in HCMC a couple of years ago.Similar to Cambodia they are blind people.
    When I was in Danang, I stopped for a haircut one morning and while it was being cut a man who looked like he belonged in 1930's Shanghai dressed in a loud suit and with a pencil-line moustache and slick greased back hair showed me a card with a price list for massage.As he did a group of Vietnamese girls in short red skirts and tottering on immense high heels clattered in to the room.I guess they were the masseuses.I didn't take him up on his offer but......

#3 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 19:40

• Peat

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

sooo sad!!! I LOVED the massages in Thailand! But I don't want to get into some weird place, you know...
    Hard to find a good salon I guess...:(((

#4 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 20:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

According to Lonely Planet, every provincial city in Vietnam has massage places - some legit, some not so. Since I have never been there, I can not verify the veracity of same information however.

As for shady and not... that can sometimes be tricky to figure out anywhere. I once have a lady make overtures when my wife was lying on the mat next to mine... bold - very bold.

#5 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 00:33

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Authentic massages for by blind masseurs are available in Hue & Danang, which means they are available in most major cities - you have to look. Expect to pay about 50,000 VND per hour.

#6 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 11:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think the Vietnamese should change the name of their currency.

#7 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 11:45

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'I think the Vietnamese should change the name of their currency.'
    Madmac,
    Yeh, it's a pretty flacid currency.

#8 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 14:41

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I use the foot massage in both Thailand and Vietnam, and really find little difference. Naturally there's all types of massage and all different qualities. I was thoroughly impressed with the Foot Spa in Than Son Nhat Domestic Terminal/Gate 6 - top quality foot massage @ 130,000VND.

Don't believe everything you read in LP (some of the worst hotel and restaurant leads!)

#9 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 01:44

• wanderlust13

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I got a back massage in Hanoi at QT spa right across from the Ho Hoan Kiem lake in the old quarter. This was an upscale, legit place so the massage was $25. The place had great ambiance with soothing music and an actual massage table as opposed to a simple table covered with a sheet. The massuese was clearly very well trained and the massage was a- freaking-mazing. I've got massages both in Thailand and Cambodia and they were perfectly fine and cheap. This one was on a different level and def worth the extra cash.

#10 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 08:32

• Advertisement

• Peat

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

mmhh. This is what I am paying in Germany as well for an hour of wonderful massage. Ok. seems, its a bit difficult to find good AND cheap ones in Viet. I guess, I just go the trial and error way. ;)

#11 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 14:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.