Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbike Hoi An to Hue

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi all,

Is it possible to hire motorbikes for a one way trip from Hoi An to Hue?

If so, what route would you suggest we take and what should we see on the way.

I know the bus is about 3.5 hours, so I thought that we could spend a day travelling (or even overnight somewhere along the way), but what are the highlights - must not misses?

Very grateful for your advice.

#1 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 14:40

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Kaz

Hiring a bike in either place will not be a problem. Riding the bike to whereever will also not be a problem.

Organising the bike to be returned to the vendor... Well, I suggest that'll be a problem.

There is a bike shop in Saigon that will arrange for a renter to put on the train as luggage back to Saigon.

As the nearest rail station for Hoi An is DaNang, the vendor will have to go half way to Hue to pick up a bike from the train. I suggest that you might have some difficulty getting vendors to agree. But, like so many places in Vietnam, if the price is right...

Cheers

#2 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:11

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

I know that when we were in Hue there were plenty of guesthouses that would take you on a bike tour to Hoi An as a one-way trip. Essentially you sit as a pillion passenger with your rucksack in front of the driver. I would guess that there might be similar trips in reverse.

One of our major regrets was that we didn't do the transit on the bike but instead took a minivan which was quick but scenically uninteresting (because of the new tunnel through the mountains).

#3 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:48

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thank you both.

I think we will have to play it by ear and see what is available when we get there. I am only really interested in hiring bikes it we can make a real trip out of it... that is take our time and stop off and see stuff, otherwise we will be better off on the train.

#4 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 20:22

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Kaz

Another way to look at the matter is to factor in a return.

For example, though the trip itself can be done in around 6 hours (on a 110cc bike & stopping for coffee, etc.) you could take a couple of days to get to Hue , use the bike to looksee Hue for a few days, and then do a straight return to Hoi An and continue your journey (by by-passing Hue).

Cheers

#5 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 10:46

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hmmm... could be an option. We were planning on the overnight train from Hue to Hanoi but could easily do that Danang to Hanoi, will check out the timetables etc....

So what should we be on the look out for enroute, happy to take a a couple of days to do it in as well as spending three or four days around Hue DMZ Ke Sanh etc.

#6 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 15:45

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

There was another Q like this recently, but I can't put my finger on it.

Assuming you rent in Hoi An for a couple of days (if for no other reason than to make sure the bike is OK before you head north) the trip to My Son is a lovely ride.

Near DaNang is the Ba Na hill station that is appealing. Of course, you'll travel over the Hai van Pass (be sure to not take the tunnel road), and then you'll lob into the Lang Co beach area. This is less urbanised than the Hoi An - DaNang 'China beach' strip.

Past Lang Co is a lovely little waterfall called Suoi Voi (or elephant springs), bugger of a signpost but. And, near Cau Hai is the bach Ma National park - with great scenery.

From Hue, you can also go west to Aluoi and 'overlook' the Laos border. The Vietnam War fighting near here (Ashau Valley & Hamburger Hill) was some of the most intense of all. The road across is very scenic.

Then there is Dong Ha & the DMZ.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:28

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks very much for this Bruce, this is looking like a goer... will look into the places you mention some more.

#8 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 14:36

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I think the recent post Bruce is talking about in mine,'Hai Van Pass by Motorbike' and another related post' Hue to Vinh Moc Tunnels'.
    We are travelling from Danang to Hue over the Hai Van Pass( thanks to good advice from Bruce and others)and returning to Danang, but still looking for more info about getting to the Vinh Moc Tunnels from Hue, overnight at Dong Hoi then going onto Phong Nha cave then back to Hue.
    Is this a journey we can make on bikes ourselves? Do we need a map?
    Does anyone know of a good map to buy, or are the road signs good enough?

#9 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 16:29

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Roynolan, when are you going? Can you post back with your trip. We will be doing ours in early january?

#10 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 17:23

• Advertisement

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Hi Kaz, wish I could , but we are not going until late january early feb, but I have a friend in Hue, and am waiting for a bit of info from him, so will keep you posted what he says, but would .love to know how you get on in early january

#11 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 18:21

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Thanks, I will let you know how we get on.

#12 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 05:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.