Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Danang to Hoi An

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

Hi, sorry, hopefully my last inane question...
    I'm keen to get the train from Hue to Danang as i gather it's a lovely trip, but how much of a palaver is it hooking up with a mini bus or taxi or whatever from Danang train station to Hoi An? I guess the key question is how much should we be expecting to pay for the trip to Hoi An?

#1 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 07:18

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

justwondering

No palava, as it's a reasonably frequently undertaken journey. Compared to the direct bus its more expensive and obviously takes longer.

Both the S1 train and the (www.sinhcafevn.com) direct bus leave at about 8:30. The 'problem' for the train is that you'll get allocated a seat on the train at the whim of the ticket seller - no discussion FULL STOP. If you don't happen to be on an oceanside seat (ie on the left when looking south), then you'll not be seeing a lot of varied scenery.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 10:24

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I think the scenery is pretty good both sides, and actually you can just look across the carriage and see the other side anyway. I've done the trip many times, and a number of times by bus and I find the train both more comfortable and more impressive. I have noticed though, that there are now resorts being built on the coast.

I've often asked for coast side and got it, though I think the sellers know what tourists expect anyway. Even when they seem brusque (after all english is not their first language) I actually find the ticket sellers helpful.

Taxis are very easy to get. I paid $12 last time but it could have gone up by now. Friends recently paid $30 but that was mostly because that seemed reasonable to them, but it isn't and there's plenty of competition. Once I was offered $5 but that was to take me to their choice of hotel, which might suit you anyway. You should easily be able to get a room in Hoi An for $12.

I have caught the bus but don't think I could remember how I did it. The drive takes less than an hour now with a new road. Check out seat61.com for train timetables.

#3 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 15:44

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hi!
    And do you know what is the best way to get to Hoi An if you're flying to Danang? Are there buses leaving from the airport? Or is it better to get into town first?

Thank you!

#4 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 18:55

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Pokol

I haven't done the actual trip. But, as i was planning it on a trip some time ago, this is what I learnt. The airport is only a couple of km's from DaNang city ctr. There is no regular bus from the airport to the city centre, or to Hoi An. There is a bus from DaNang to Hoi An.

I was advised (by many) that most travellers use a taxi between the airport & Hoi An. Maybe when you get to the airport, you might grab some 'others' and share costs.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 19:06

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I found the taxis at the airport much harder to deal with than in other places. The drivers were kept from coming in close, you're supposed to go to them. It's actually closer to Hoi An than the station so it should cost less. We had trouble getting the taxi from there to go where we wanted it to, having already booked our hotel. They can't, anyway, take you right into Hoi An old town, because cars are not allowed in that part of town. If you have a hotel on the outskirts of town you can be dropped outside it. Make sure you have a map so you know where you're going and negotiate the price clearly before you start.

#6 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 10:22

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

By far the quickest & best is the train - I have done this trip many times. The buses tend to stop and hang around waiting for passengers, so total length of time can be as long as 6 hours!

On the train go to carriage 1 which is the cafeteria car - so order a beer, coffee etc. and watch the scenery if you wish as you go around Hai Van pass - it is breathtaking and no matter how many times I do it I always look forward to this journey!

Easy to get taxis and you should not pay more than 200,000 VND

#7 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 19:37

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hi Pablot,

Do you mean a train from Danang to Hoi An? Do you know prices and timetables?

#8 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 19:53

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You can catch a taxi from the airport at the "official" taxi stand or get one of the others outside. Either way, it should be no more than 300,000 dong. If you're travelling alone or with just one other person, try to link up with another one or two people going to Hoi An to make the total cost for each person less.

#9 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 02:28

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

I mean train from Hue to Danang - then taxi to Hoi An

#10 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 09:22

• Advertisement

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hi, I'm not going to Hue so I'm only interested in how to get a taxi from Danang to Hoi An.

Thank you!!!!

#11 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 13:36

• Digs

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

just got ataxi from Da nang to Hoi An this evening... inside they want to charge you 300,000 vnd (about $20)but I hooked up with 2 other travellers and ''negoitated'' a taxi down to $12 for the 3 of us.... but he pulled the usual scam and said the second hotel was 'out of town'' and he wanted an extra $2 when we arrived at my hotel..... the guys walked to their hotel within 5 minutes...so watch out they'll try anything on tyo get an extra $. Be firm and tell them where you want to go and that you have a hotel booked already... if female and travelling on your own tell them your husband joins you ''tomorrow'' it shuts them up!

#12 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 22:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.