Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Flights to/from Bangkok

• dan567

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2009

I plan on spending around 30 days in Vietnam flying in from Bangkok and then flying back to Bangkok again.

I've looked at flights and it seems to be about 2800 baht each way. Is it a reasonable plan to fly in to Hanoi 1st October, get to Ho Chi Minh City and then fly from there back to Bangkok?

Is there any way I can get the flights cheaper, say just by turning up at the airport on the day?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 19:18

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Dan

The prices you suggest to Hanoi appear on AirAsia.

BKK > SGN is US$56 on 1 Oct or US$48 on 2 Oct via AirAsia. Jetstar also fly this leg.

and

HAN > BKK is US$50 on 30 Oct.

So, if direction in VN isn't a drama, then to HCMC, up to HaNoi and back would be cheaper.

As for turning up on the day, I'd say no way. Low Cost Carriers like Air Asia sell cheapest first, and stragglers pay big time.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 19:49

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I second what Bruce said.

Uber-budget airlines like Air Asia and Jetstar seem to make their money on tickets sold at the last minute. $50 for HAN --> BKK is cheap. If you to book it the day before (or the day of) and it will easily double.

ex. with AirAsia, a flight HAN --> BKK tomorrow Friday, Sept. 10 is $81 (and it gets even higher on the weekend) while a flight on Sept 17 is $57.

Book at least 7 days in advance for the price to be low. If you know there's a certain day you must fly, book it as far in advance as you can.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 21:59

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Bangkok Air cancel 4 International routes

Bangkok Airways announced it will be canceling 4 International routes starting 25OCT09.

The cancelled routes are:

Bangkok - Ho Chi Minh eff 25OCT09
    Bangkok - Xiamen eff 25OCT09
    Bangkok - Hiroshima eff 27OCT09
    Bangkok - Guilin eff 10NOV09

(from airlineroute.blogspot.com)

#4 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 06:47

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I would just add that with the budget airlines the taxes and add on costs can make them considerably more expensive. A tiger airlines flight from Hanoi to Singapore was advertised at $29 each but by the time the extras were added on ended up at $130, still cheap but considerably more than $29.

#5 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 14:43

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

On taxes after the advertised price, I agree it's a big turnoff.

I appreciate the move by AirAsia to post the final price - after taxes & charges.

To me, that's a smart move.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 15:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.