Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc Ha Tien Boat

• apertyx

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

Good Day,

Any current news on a passenger ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien? I've seen one referenced but described as "unreliable".

I'm trying to get to Chau Doc in one day and would like to avoid flying.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 19:40

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

This ferry has had a number of accidents (sinking) I understand and is, anyway, quite slow. You can get a faster hydrofoil to Rach Gia and bus from there to Chau Doc (LP says 4 hours).Other possibilities, if you can't get this bus are 1. first to Ha Tien , then Chau Doc- should take at least 6 hours. Ha Tien is not a bad place to stop over anyway. 2. Rach Gia to Long Xuyen, and another to Chau Doc. Don't know how long this takes, it may even be the 4 hour trip mentioned in LP. It's always worth asking your hotel because they can often organis you a minibus with xe om rides as connections. Costs a few dollars extra but saves a lot of hassle.

In terms of flying, and it's quite cheap, you can only fly to Rach Gia and Saigon from Phu Quoc.

The difficulty you will face is really what time transport leaves and whether you can coordinate the hydrofoil and buses.

#2 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 10:14

• muzzz63

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2009

I was in Phu Quoc in November and some friends of mine from Can Tho tried to come over for the weekend. When they arrived in Rach Gia there was only 1 ferry available (the Superdong) because the Vinashin boat was "broken". It had been a similar situation when I had gone to the island 2 days before. Unfortuanately the Superdong was full. They decided to go up to Ha Tien because there was an earlier boat the next day.

When they went to the ferry office the next morning they were told that the sea was too rough for the boat to go. This was clearly not true as the sea both in Ha Tien and in Phu Quoc was as flat as a pancake. Probably there was a mechanical problem again. The story about the weather being bad could have been a way to avoid paying compensation as this is what Vietnam Airlines do. Apparently the Ha Tien ferry is only a riverboat rather than a hydrofoil so is more likely to be full and subject to weather cancellation.

A phone call to Rach Gia produced the bad news that the boat there was full and so they returned to Can Tho without ever getting to see Phu Quoc.

In theory there are a number of ferry companies who operate from Rach Gia but only one from Ha Tien. They all seem to be extremely dodgy and unreliable. My advice would be fly to the island unless you are willing to potentially hold up somewhere for a couple of days on the way. It is relatively cheap to fly and if you are delayed it will end up costing you more in any case.

#3 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 04:18

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

There is a ferry from Phu Quoc to Hon Chong which is about 30 minutes from Ha Tien. The ferry port is before you get into Hon Chong itself. It is a new(ish) ferry - not a fishing boat. We did this trip in Nov 08 no problem

#4 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 15:39

• pinky

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just took the ferry two days ago from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien . It has been running for about two years. Can't comment on the reliability, but you can buy a ticket (D160,000) at any hotel or tour agency on Phu Quoc.
    The taxi ride to the wharf in Phu Quoc is D200,000. The ferry trip takes about 2 hours. When you get off the ferry,there is a tourist agency that arranges buses to Cambodia etc, although they look blankly at you if you want to cross the Ha Tien Cambodia border (6km away) go to Kep - not enough money in it for them.
    Ha Tien is a nice town, and worth staying the night. The Hai Yen Hotel is D200,000, huge rooms, and has a fantastic view from room 517.

#5 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 14:36

• mulaohu

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2010

We took the 8:30am hydrofoil from Phu Quoc, Nam Binh port to Ha Tien on Jan 14, 2010. The 'hydroil' looked suspiciously small; we suspected it was probably just a regular ferry. Approximately 15 minutes into our journey one of the engines caught on fire and died. Despite this mishap, the crew (who communicated nothing to the frightened passengers) tried to continue the rest of the trip on just one engine. Eventually we turned back to Phu Quoc, demanded a refund but nearly didn't get it as the staff on land tried to convince us to take an even smaller fishing boat instead. Some of the foreigners on board decided to go instead to the larger hydroil to Rach Gia, which they said was supposedly certified and safer. We decided to fly back to HCMC.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 22:58

• rmikiewi

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

We were also on this boat on 14.01.2010. The fire accident was really scarry and some passengers were already seriously thinking about jumping out from the boat (including myself). Luckily it ended up without casualities, however one of the passengers was slightly injured (by fire). I definetly do not recommend this boat... Finally we decided to change our travel plans and we took the big speed boat to Rach Gia (Superdong II) wich was in much better shape and was looking reliable.

#7 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 23:13

• WonderingTs-
    ar

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

I wonder if there is more than one operator, as my Ha Tien - Phu Quoc (Ham Ninh port) ferry took much less than the 2 hours stated above. It was barely over an hour.

FWIW, the one I took seemed fine - no problems at all. The ticket was 160 000 and has DOANH NGHIEP TU NHAN HING TAM written across the top

There is also a logo with "HT" written in red on top of a yellow background inside a blue circle. Around the top edge it says DNTN HONG TAM and around the bottom edge TAU CAO TOC.

HTH

#8 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 21:56

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

We travelled PQ to HT 2 days ago by ferry bought a package from a Travel Agent in Duong Dong, on the left side of the rd to long beach as you come from Night Mky., said Go to Cambodia on shop front. Marie Rose sold us a ticket on said ferry which was 160k VND, for 15$ more she sold us a bus to Kampot, transfers to ferry from our resort and from HT to border all included. 25$ more gets you a Cambodian Visa or 500k VND if you dont have USD. The Visa is prob worth getting yourself as there is no hassle at this crossing. She also does buses to Chau Doc in Vietnam and PP Kep and S-ville. If getting the transfer from hotel get her number and gIve her a ring AT 7.30 (Ferry at 8.30) as she forgot us. Taxi turned up after hurried call, dropped us at Ham Nimh but be aware its a 10 min walk from shore to ferry, really long narrow jetty cos gthe sea is so shallow I guess. Whislt not as plush as Superdong or Savanna plying the Rach Gua PQ route the ferry was adequate and on time taking just under 2 hrs to cross uneventfully. An apologetic Marie Rose met us at HT and took us ot her office.

#9 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 22:58

• WonderingTs-
    ar

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

I wonder if there is more than one operator, as my Ha Tien - Phu Quoc (Ham Ninh port) ferry took much less than the 2 hours stated above. It was barely over an hour.

FWIW, the one I took seemed fine - no problems at all. The ticket was 160 000 and has DOANH NGHIEP TU NHAN HING TAM written across the top

There is also a logo with "HT" written in red on top of a yellow background inside a blue circle. Around the top edge it says DNTN HONG TAM and around the bottom edge TAU CAO TOC.

HTH

#10 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 23:56

• Advertisement

• sea2010

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 9

There is a new bus/ferry service from Kampot/Kep to Phu Quoc since february 1. We took the bus on that day and were told we could catch the ferry at 1 p.m. in Ha Tien . But we got stuck in Ha Tien because the ferry was apparently broken. We could take the ferry on the next morning at 8 a.m. The boat was ok and quite fast (it took us 1,5 hours to get to Phu Quoc).
    To avoid problems with the ferry on the way back, we opt to take the (short) flight from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia. It's definitely the best option, we paid only 30$ and there seems to be no problem to get a ticket. Our plane was not even half full. The flight takes about 30 minutes.

#11 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 20:17

• lpalmer

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010

I recently (June 29th, 2010 or so) booked the Ha Tien ferry to Phu Quoc through Rith Travel in Kep (Rith is the quite obvious travel agent in the center of the crab market in Kep). It was all pretty straight forward -- the tuk tuk picked us up from the hotel, dropped us off at the bus station where we waited a few minutes for a mini bus, and then we were driven through the border (with a dude shepherding us through all the various stations) and then on to the ferry. I don't know what company the ferry was run by, but it was at most 90 minutes and was quite comfortable, with the standard cambodian/thai music videos playing up front. We paid like $21 per person for the transfer from Kep through the border plus the ferry ticket.

I would recommend that people arrange for pick up (whether or not you already have a hotel booked) from the ferry port. As soon as you arrive, you are at the very far end of a long, narrow dock and you are swarmed with motos wanting to give you a lift, many of whom are quite insistent. I did not see any tuk tuks, taxis or cars (other than those people had pre-booked) at the end of the pier, so if you are travelling with another person and you both have backpacks, plan on taking 2 motos.

#12 Posted: 9/7/2010 - 22:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Boat from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien? ... By fuzzneko on 21 Mar 2014 3 710 10 Apr 2014
Kep to Ha Tien (and Phu Quoc) ... By danandhan on 11 Dec 2009 0 3948 11 Dec 2009
Kampot -> Ha Tien + Phu Quoc ferry schedule ... By Mikko on 15 Mar 2010 2 7066 17 Aug 2010
Warning: ferry fire from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien ... By mulaohu on 14 Jan 2010 3 3617 20 Jan 2010
Ha Tien-PhuQuoc fast boat - does it exist? ... By KateRus on 20 Oct 2009 1 2563 21 Oct 2009