Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

2 week itinerary

• nam09

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2009

hi there,
    myself and 5 other of my 19yr old friends are going to vietnam for 2 weeks in january next year.

we're really not too sure where to start with the planning.. where and how long we should stay in each place etc. we dont really have any must sees besides ha long bay, but we're after a cheap and cheerful holiday where we can see some sights, relax on the beach, shop and do a bit of partying. any ideas??
    thanks very much :)

#1 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 18:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

I assume you're flying into Hanoi ?

If that's the case, you could spend a few days in Hanoi, then north to Sapa for a couple of days, then back to Hanoi for Ha Long Bay.

Once you're done there, I'd suggest night train south to Hue, couple of days they, then south again to Hoi An (via Da Nang).

By then you'll be running down on your two weeks so either back to Hanoi if you're flying out of there, or down to Saigon -- depends.

A big mistake with Vietnam is to try and see too much in too little time. It is a deceptively big country.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 18:30

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Need a guide? I will show you girls around!

#3 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 22:47

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

I'm thinking of focusing my trip mostly on Vietnam, also for around two weeks. Does anyone have any idea how practicable it would be to make a quick trip into Laos for some tubing and maybe check out the islands? Thanks

Cheers
    Josh

#4 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 07:15

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

nam09,

Somtam's suggestion is certainly a good one, but here's another that would include the points you mention (assuming you're flying into Hanoi ):

Hanoi > Ha Long Bay > Hanoi (5 days)

Fly on Jetstar or take open tour bus, or train from Hanoi to Danang

Hoi An and surrounds (3 days)

Overnight open tour bus to Nha Trang

Nha Trang (3 days)

Start heading back to Hanoi, maybe spend last free day there, or could stop for a day in Hue or somewhere else on the way if you take train or bus back to Hanoi

Josh,

I assume your talking about 10,000 islands? If you want to make it there and go tubing around Vang Vien, plan on spending most of the 2 weeks in Laos. Vietnam to Laos is a bit tricky - bus will take 1 to 2 days (depending on route), and flights are on the expensive side from Hanoi to LP or Vientiane. Visas could also be a bit tricky so if you do go to Laos make sure to get a double entry visa for Vietnam.

If I were you, I'd save Laos for another trip and do your best to see Vietnam. Travel is slower in Laos than maybe anywhere in SE Asia, best not to be rushed.

Enjoy Vietnam!

#5 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 14:03

• nam09

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2009

we're actually flying into saigon as you cannot get a flight form perth to hanoi which is crazy annoying. soo we'll be making our way up by im guessing the train which really changes things...

ive heard nha tran is a good beach spot. what will that be like mid jan?

thanks so much for all the help. very handy

#6 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 17:00

• katherine19-

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    I just came back from Viet Nam
    I also spent 2 week there,maybe you can follow my schedule
    Day1: Ho Chi Minh
    Day 2: Ho Chi Minh - Mekong Delta
    Day 3: Ho Chi Minh - Mui Ne (by pm sleeping bus)
    Day4: Mui Ne
    Day5: Mui Ne - Nha Trang
    Day 6: Nha Trang
    Day7: Nha Trang - Hoi An (by pm sleeping bus)
    Day8: Hoi An
    Day 9: Hoi An - Hue
    Day 10: Hue - Ha Noi(by pm sleeping bus)
    Day11: Ha Noi
    Day 12: Ha Noi - Ha Long
    Day 13: Ha Long - Cat Ba
    Day 14: Cat Ba - Ha Long - Ha Noi
    Day 15: Ha Noi depart
    If you want to stay at Ho Chi Minh longer so You shouldnt stop at Mui Ne.
    For this trip you can book open bus from Ho Chi Minh to Ha Noi
    and then you do open tour in each city.

#7 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 19:13

• nam09

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2009

oh wow thanks thats really handy, unfortunately we're flying in and out of saigon so will have to cut a couple of days out of there somewhere to get back down to ho chi minh.
    thanks so much

#8 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 19:59

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

I was thinking of flying into Saigon going up the country catching a flight from Hanoi to Vientiane or LP and then flying back go Saigon. I realize that may be kind of pricey but unfortunately I'm on a pretty tight schedule. Also, what are the big party spots in Vietnam and the most interesting spots for people interested in Vietnam's 20th century history?

Thanks

Josh

#9 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 04:10

• katherine19-

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

If you want to cut off couple days you should cut off Mui Ne.
    You can take cheap airline from Ha Noi to Ho Chi Minh the same day when you take another flight from Ho Chi Minh back to your country.I have one friend work for travel agency(I knew her when I traved to Viet Nam) you can contact with her as this mail: whitelotus1984@gmail.com she will help you to plan and intend how much you must pay for your trip.
    You can take flight from Ha Noi to Luongphabang then Vientain to Ho Chi Minh.However to come back Viet Nam the second time you must do multiple visa Viet Nam.
    main place to visit in Viet Nam for history of 20th century are: Ho Chi Minh,Hoi An, Hue, Ha Noi

#10 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 17:11

• Advertisement

• elisemai121

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2009

Hi,
    I have some recommendation for you to consider:

Day 1: Hanoi

Day 2+3: Hanoi - Halong : 2days 1night, visiting cave&kayaking.

Day 4: Hanoi - Hue : in the afternoon city tour Hue with imperial citadel & Dong Ba market.

Day 5: Hue - Hoi An: a half of day in Hue to visit Thien Mu pagoda, Royal Tombs of Emperor Khai Dinh, Minh Mang.Then comes to Hoi An.

Day 6: Hoi An: Cham Island tour or Tra Que village

Day 7: Hoi An- Nha Trang : Transfer to Danang airport

Day 8: Nha Trang discovery: scuba diving, canoeing, fishing,..

Day 9: Nha Trang - Sai Gon

Day 10+ 11: Mekong Delta Day trip: Cai Be floating market, Cai Rang floating market,...

Day 12: Saigon relaxing and shoping.

Moreover, Vietnam's high season runs from November to March. So It's highly advisable to book services as early as possible.

Good luck!

#11 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 10:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.