Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Tet Festival 2007

• whitecat

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

Hi

I'm travelling to Vietnam in February next year, and I've seen quite a few mentions of the Tet Festival. I'm having trouble working out exactly what date it begins on, and how long it goes for. I've seen both February 18th and 22nd mentioned. What sort of impact does it have on the tourist industry? I'll be in Ho Chi Minh City around that time, flying out on the 21st. I'd love to be there to see what its all like.

This site is great!

#1 Posted: 5/9/2006 - 17:41

• Advertisement

• Laura_B

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 12

Hi, the Tet festival is a huge holiday for the Vietnamese, its cool being there on the eve, but bear in mind that places will be closed for around 2-3 days after. Places will start to open again, but there are still a lot of shops/restaurants/travel agencies still closed for up to a week. Prices also go up & it is very difficult to book any modes of transport. So if you plan on taking trains & buses around this time book ahead & expect to pay more. I was stranded in Hanoi for a while during Tet & in the end had to buy a plane ticket to fly to Danang as the train was full. It was also difficult to do this as we didnt find many travel agencies open.

#2 Posted: 5/9/2006 - 19:25

• DakLak

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2006

The Tet Festival start date: 2007-02-01, end date: 2007-02-07.

Try to arrange to be in a large centre - HCMC - Da Nang - Ha Noi - as these will have sufficient, although reduced, services for Ong Tay (Foreigners) whereas in the boondocks you will go hungry.

Transportation will be jammed (in all classes) as everyone migrates back to their place of birth.

The first day is kind of quiet but as the week goes by you will see and more people out and about until the last night when it seems everything with two or three wheels on it is cruising around the streets.

Of course, Chinese New Year is concurrent with this and there are often CN visitors helping take up the few beds that might be slack.

In both HCMC and Ha Noi Chinatowns do it differently as you will find the 'dragons' climbing buildings looking for red packets filled with money - and the restaurants will be open, too.

#3 Posted: 6/9/2006 - 05:44

• ReneHanoi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

The first day of the new lunar year will be 17/02/2007. It's not the best time to travel in unless you have a lot of time and don't have to go somewhere in a hurry and can soak up the athmosphere.

#4 Posted: 6/9/2006 - 09:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.