Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Help - HCMC to Angkor Wat

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Ok, we've got the intinerary so far..... Hanoi - Lao Cai/Sapa - Hanoi - Hue - Da Nang/Hoi An - Na Trang - HCMC... then we're a little confused...how is the best way to get from HCMC to Siam Reap and Angkor Wat?

We plan to arrive in HCMC early am Friday and will be flying out of there late afternoon on the next Wed. We'd like to see a bit if HCMC and also spen enough time exploring Angkor Wat.

#1 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 16:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Easiest way is to fly, most economical way is overland. Former takes about an hour and a half, latter a very full day of bus travel, though if you go for the latter I'd recommend at least overnighting at Phnom Penh.

#2 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 08:24

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

last year we went from siem reap to HCMC via Kuala Lumpor on air asia very cheap, as we could not fly directly, but we wanted to go up the Petronis Towers anyway, so we didn't mind the diversion

#3 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 02:57

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Puggles,

I will be doing the exact same in November, but in a bit of slower pace ;-)

Easiest way is indeed to get a bus from HCMC to PP and then from PP to Siem Reap. I wouldn't recommand to do it in 1 day, but try to visit PP as well.

#4 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 18:19

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks for the responses.

I have read several threads here where JetStar is recommended but when I visited the JetStar website, although they list HCMC and Siam Reap, it comes up with 'no flights' even after looking through up to 6 days before and after the date I want.

Can anyone confirm if they do fly between the two cities and how often??

Is there any other airlines that have this route apart from Vietnam Airlines and JetStar?

Lawoat - thanks, I wish we had mroe time to be honest. We were stupid only booking 3 weeks between our flights to and from Vietnam and Australia in hindsight. However, 3 weeks it is. We are considering dumping on of the places we have on the intinerary and possibly taking another internal flight to free up some more time....but it is hard to pick which place to dump off. :(

#5 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 07:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No they don't fly it, you can go via Singapore (with Jetstar) or KL (with Airasia).

#6 Posted: 24/9/2009 - 15:45

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Sorry, I am a little confused now. Are there direct flights from HCMC to Siam Reap with any airline or do they all fly via elsewhere??

#7 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 06:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Vietnam Airlines flies it direct -- no others that I know of.

#8 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 09:06

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Ok thanks. I wrongly have assumed it was just a short plane trip of an hour or 2... I guess I should investigate it a little more.

Thanks for your help. :)

#9 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 10:54

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Ok, leaning toward Vietnam Airways as I like the idea of a straight through flight and they have 4 flights per day leaving HCMC.

The website quotes a price of $49US for a return trip...which sounds a little too good to be true but it also states that this does not include taxes and charges.

Can anyone give me an estimate on these charges??

#10 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 12:04

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Regarding charges, the only way I have figured out how to determine what the end cost is is to go through the whole booking process (up until the time they ask for your credit card).

For example a flight advertised on Tiger airways for $29 ended up $130. This was still pretty good value Hanoi to Singapore, so we paid it but it is very frustrating if you are relying on the "quoted" prices

#11 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 13:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.