admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks to pablot for the link to these excellent photos of the flooding in Hoi An -- if you are elsewhere in Vietnam, we'd strongly suggest a bit of itinerary replanning...

Photos, comparing Hoi An to Venice, are here:
    http://vietnamnet.vn/xahoi/2009/10/871361/

#1 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 20:50

• Advertisement

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

hi
    my friend lives in Hue, and he looks after his younger brother, and they had to leave their room as it was flooded, he is able to stay at the hotel he works in, but he gets no food, and no pay as there are no visiters, sounds very bad there at the moment.
    If someone goes to Hue, please buy him a bag of rice.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 22:01

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

There is a lot of damage in Hoi An and a lot of hotels have been badly damaged mostly due to flooding.

Some of the bigger 4 & 5 star resorts on Cua Dai beach have suffered the most and about 50% of the beach has gone. Life Resort seems to be closed.

Anyone travelling to Hoi An needs to confirm with their hotel that they are open and have a confirmed reservation.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 13:59

• Digs

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2009

HI
    I'm due to fly to Hanoi tomorrow (Friday)from the UK and on to Hoi An on Wednesday, I've taken advice from British Embassy in Hanoi and Western and Vietmanese people working in Hoi An... they all say the floods have receced and that life is returning to normal...BUT they desperatley need Tourists back there to supplement thier incom. If we continue telling people not to go to Hoi An it is the locals who will suffer the most... so I'm still planning on going and happy to help with any remaining clear up operations, buy rice and water for the locals without homes etc etc.... so come on lets think what the Vietmanese people need not what we need..... please come to Hoi An I hope to be there Wednesday evening. Though I am being sensible and keeping an eye on Typhon Parma if that hits Central Vietnam I won't be travelling there as I'd be more of a problem than a help..... Hope to meet some fellow Travelfish in Hoi An

#4 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 00:15

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

Hello An,

I am concerned too, about the weather in Central Vietnam.
    I arrive in Vietnam in the middle of November and I am trying to plan a loop around SEA.
    I like storms but, no thank you to tyhoons.
    Looking forward to your posts once you arrive in Hoi An.

Emery

#5 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 05:03

• Digs

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

HI all
    I''ve arrived in Hoi An and just as the locals said there is NO SIGN Of the floods......... the place is buzzing....but changed so much since I was last here in 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn''t recognise the place....still plenty of time to explore, it''s really relaxing and they need the tourism so please donm''t stay away because of floods... irt''s fine in fact it''s wonderful. Off to beach tomorrow so will let you all know how that is too.
    Digs
    PS Jetstar.com = cheap and cheerful airline $47 round trip Hanoi to Da Nang you get what you pay for, no frills airline but a lot better than Easyjet or Ryan air etc in UK!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 21:56

• Digs

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

and I''m not a Tour Company in Vietnam posting... just in case you wonder...just a girl from UK travelling in Vietnam for a few weeks, Hanoi - Hoi An and back to Hanoi again.....

#7 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 21:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.