Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta on a motorbike.

• stvstv

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2009

Dear great Travelfish

I will be in Vietnam in December and I like to travel in the Mekong Delta on a small motorbike. I am alone and I have 5/6 day to spend.

Think it's a good idea?
    Where can I rent a small motorbike in the delta?
    How can cost a day?
    What are the best places to visit in the delta on a motorcycle?

Thanks to everyone for help me.

Stv

#1 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 20:30

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Renting in the Delta you could try My Tho (as that would be your first stop). I didn't see any dedicated hire places there, though it was straightforward to hire a bike with rider.

It's a good idea assuming you're looking to get more off the beaten track - there's one story on some of the destinations in the Delta here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/122

With six days you could cover something like My Tho Ben Tre Tra Vinh Ving Long ...

Make sure you lock up your bike properly at night -- many guesthouses will let you park it inside the lobby at night -- don't leave it on the street overnight.

#2 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 08:47

• marigeri

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

in chau doc it is really easy to get a motorbike and it is not touristic place as mytho or cantho, it is also small city very easy to stay in and relax, in the guesthouse in the center, they rent moto, and from there you can go around see the mekong life, the ricefield, khmer old pagodas...
    i enjoy a ride in mekong with a french guide, and it was amazing, we found him on french guide book and he took us to beautifull places, but then i went by myself in chau doc and found it easy to be there,
    i stayed in cantho and it is too big city not as charming as chaudoc

#3 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 08:16

• Juha_H

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I'm travelling around Mekong Delta and right now at Can Tho. Scooter is probably the way to see the country side and small town over here. I'm staying at Kim Lan hotel and I asked from reception if they can rent scooter for me. Nice receptionist told me that Kim Lan doesnt rent scooter, but maybe the next hotel on the left can arrange something for me. I walked in to the hotel and in couple of minutes I had rented scooter and helmet for couple of days. The guy who rented the scooter didn't check even if I have driver licence or any other papers, which is kind of funny. Now I have scooter, but should I have some papers if police stops me on the road? Do you know is European driver licence valid here in Vietnam? I have Finnish driver licence.

#4 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 09:24

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

No. Your Finnish driver's license is NOT VALID in Vietnam.

You are almost certainly riding without third party insurance, so you personally will be liable for any damage or injury you cause, and, since you are a foreigner, probably liable for any damage or injury in any accident you are involved in, even if it wasn't your fault. (It's ALWAYS the foreigner's fault.)

You should probably check that your travel insurance covers your medical/evacuation costs in case of an accident while riding illegally. Some do. Many don't.

The police probably won't stop you since you presumably look foreign and they probably don't speak English. They could though... If you are involved in an accident without anyone being injured, it's best to sort it out before the police get involved. If someone is injured or killed, you could be in serious doo doo.

Have fun.

#5 Posted: 12/1/2014 - 05:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ben Tre Mekong Delta ... By oscarcat on 27 Jan 2010 0 3272 27 Jan 2010
Mekong Delta during TET ... By sportie23 on 23 Oct 2012 5 2239 1 Nov 2012
Mekong Delta - doing it on your own ... By pjsolomon76 on 27 Feb 2009 5 6231 18 Mar 2009
Mekong Delta ... By brinner on 28 Sep 2006 15 4097 29 Nov 2006
Mekong Delta - Sa Dec ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 0 2887 13 Sep 2008
mekong delta help ... By uktravelman on 3 Oct 2009 1 2351 4 Oct 2009
Mekong Delta ... By Vero123 on 7 Jul 2011 9 6101 18 Sep 2011
Mekong Delta ... By dutoy on 26 Feb 2007 1 2649 5 Mar 2007
Mekong Delta ... By mrbangkok on 26 Oct 2009 1 2404 26 Oct 2009
B&B in Can Tho (Mekong Delta) ... By naturemekong on 7 Nov 2008 1 3066 7 Nov 2008