Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

ha long bay tour recomendation - 3 days / 2 nights

• saso

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009

Hi,

I know this topic appears quite often, however I've been searching the web and reading the forums and I haven't found the right answer yet.

We're travelling with my girlfriend to SE Asia, we'll be passing through Hanoi and we would like to do a 3 day (2 night) tour of Ha Long Bay, sleeping on a boat and doing some sightseing (kayaking, trekking, visiting some beaches). Now, the most important thing is that we're a bit short on money, so we're looking for something inexpensive.

I've been searching for a reliable tour operator for a 3 day / 2 nights tour, but so far (on the forums and on the web) I've only found prices around 200 USD and more. That's too much for us. I've surfed the web pages of most of agencies mentioned here (Handspan, Collumbus Travel, etc.).

Is it possible to find a decent tour in the price range 100 - 130 USD? Could anyone give us some recomendation for a good inexpensive boat operator? We're not looking for luxury, but we don't want to end up in a dodgy overcrowded boat. Should we search for a tour "last minute" when we're already in Hanoi - would we have a better chance to get a good price that way or are the tours usually full and need to be booked in advance? We're going to be in Hanoi at the beginning of November.

Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 14:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Have you seen the stories on picking a Ha Long Bay tour? The budget one is here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/76

And the full series towards the bottom of this page: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/vietnam

#2 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 05:10

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

After a lot of research the two I am looking at are Columbus Tours which is expensive but get consistently good reviews or those organised through Kangaroo cafe which are cheaper but have a night on Cat Bat island.

Some posts have indicated that cat bat isnt all that great and if you don't overnight there then you get to more remote (read hear less crowded) places in the bay.

I am not sure when you are travelling but we will be there for New Yea so can post back after then.

#3 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 15:26

• saso

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009

hey somtam2000,
    thanks for your information. i read the stories on travelfish before posting. the tour that's named "for flashpackers" seems perfect for us, but i've been unable to find a tour like this (with this price). i've seen that the stories have been posted some time ago and things have probably changed? have the prices went up so much?

kazaussie: thanks, i've been looking at columbus tours too, but their price ($200) is a bit to much. we might opt for a 2 day / 1 night tour with them. do you know what is the price of a tour with the kangaroo cafe? we're going there in november so i can tell you later of our experience...

#4 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 16:01

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Kangaroo cafe is $145USD for the 3 night 2 day tour. Their website is www.kangaroocafe.com but from memory I had to email them to get the prices.

#5 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 05:39

• beekalove

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

About 3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I did a 1 night, 2 day trip to halong bay from Hanoi and then spent a few nights on our own on cat ba. IMO, cat ba is great if the weather is decent and you have time to take a motorbike around the island to explore he beaches and caves, but often the tours only give you a night on the island (not much time during daylight). We booked our tour through our hotel (Hanoi guesthouse) for $58/each and the quality was fine- not luxurious but good food, nice rooms and not too crowded. I know they also offer the 3 day/ 2 night package. I believe the company was Imperial. If you wait until you get to Hanoi you will definitely be able to book, everyone wants to sell you a tour- Just double check the companies. Have a great time!

#6 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 13:12

• mic2

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2009

Saso, here's a tip I'll suggest. Try sending emails to all those cruise companies you've researched online, ask for promotional program then compare its prices and tour activities. I don't know if it's going to help you but it does in my cruise both with Bhaya and Pinta Gold.

#7 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 12:02

• gooze

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2009
    Location Vietnam

with your request, you can try to look from our hotel :http://hanoimikeshotel.com. The price will depend on quality.
    There are alot of price for you to choose: range from standard tour to deluxe tour (from 60$-139$)
    If you want to have more information, you can directly email me:lanphuong@hanoimikeshotel.com

#8 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 16:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ha Long Bay 3 days and 2 nights on the Jolly Roger & Castaway Island ... By drunkeneddy on 17 Jan 2010 1 3995 21 Jan 2010