Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa and trekking gear

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hi,

Stupid question but important since it is a lot of extra weight in my backpack. I've been told for Sapa at this time of the year it is good to bring with you trekking shoes because of the rain.

Does anybody think something like this is too much? http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Partners/TrekkingShoes/SportsShoesHikingShoesTrekkingShoesDT.JPG

Or should it be fine with sport shoes like this?

http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Partners/TrekkingShoes/SportsShoesHikingShoesTrekkingShoesCV.JPG

#1 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 01:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Definitely the latter.

#2 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 05:25

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi , we did a 2 day overnight trek last week there. I had tramping boots with me as I have one ankle prone to turning and was very glad i had them as it was muddy as heck on the second morning as it had been raining over night. My two friends just had sports type shoes and they were happy with those. So I'm not sure that helps you. I think it depends on what sort of walk you're plannign to do. We did a "moderate" and off the main route walk, which we found easy on teh first day and definitely didn't need tramping boots for, but the second day was more tricky due to more variable terrain and slipperyness and i was glad i had them. If you are planning on doing an "easy" grade of walk, sports shoes will likely be fine no matter what teh weather.

#3 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 08:07

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

sorry i should have added that by tramping boots i meant your first link and sports shoes were your second.

#4 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 08:12

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Thank you!!! I'm not that fussy about mud. If it gets up to my knees it'll pretty uncomfortable all the same:)Thank you for the advice!

#5 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 13:45

• justwonderi-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

You'll be fine then, teh mud wasn't deep - just rather slippery. If you're not fussed about ankle support, your sports shoes should be fine. Have fun!

#6 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 15:48

• Pokol

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Oh, not worried at all on that issue. If it isn't cold I don't mind getting soaked and covered in mud:)That goes away. I use these trainers everytime I go rock climbing and I'm always fine.

#7 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 15:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.