Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Sapa and trekking gear

Posted by Pokol on 16/10/2009 at 01:05

Hi,

Stupid question but important since it is a lot of extra weight in my backpack. I've been told for Sapa at this time of the year it is good to bring with you trekking shoes because of the rain.

Does anybody think something like this is too much? http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Partners/TrekkingShoes/SportsShoesHikingShoesTrekkingShoesDT.JPG

Or should it be fine with sport shoes like this?

http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Partners/TrekkingShoes/SportsShoesHikingShoesTrekkingShoesCV.JPG

#1 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/10/2009 at 05:25 admin

Definitely the latter.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by justwondering on 16/10/2009 at 08:07

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi , we did a 2 day overnight trek last week there. I had tramping boots with me as I have one ankle prone to turning and was very glad i had them as it was muddy as heck on the second morning as it had been raining over night. My two friends just had sports type shoes and they were happy with those. So I'm not sure that helps you. I think it depends on what sort of walk you're plannign to do. We did a "moderate" and off the main route walk, which we found easy on teh first day and definitely didn't need tramping boots for, but the second day was more tricky due to more variable terrain and slipperyness and i was glad i had them. If you are planning on doing an "easy" grade of walk, sports shoes will likely be fine no matter what teh weather.

#3 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by justwondering on 16/10/2009 at 08:12

sorry i should have added that by tramping boots i meant your first link and sports shoes were your second.

#4 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Pokol on 16/10/2009 at 13:45

Thank you!!! I'm not that fussy about mud. If it gets up to my knees it'll pretty uncomfortable all the same:)Thank you for the advice!

#5 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by justwondering on 16/10/2009 at 15:48

You'll be fine then, teh mud wasn't deep - just rather slippery. If you're not fussed about ankle support, your sports shoes should be fine. Have fun!

#6 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Pokol on 16/10/2009 at 15:56

Oh, not worried at all on that issue. If it isn't cold I don't mind getting soaked and covered in mud:)That goes away. I use these trainers everytime I go rock climbing and I'm always fine.

#7 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.