Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Sapa vs Dalat

Posted by Rohan on 16/10/2009 at 17:47

I will be headed to Vietnam in January, and at this stage I am looking at a couple of days in Sapa and a couple of days in Dalat (among other things). I have read some good things about the Easy Rider tours out of Dalat and am thinking about taking one from Dalat to Saigon. However, this will mean I need to find an extra couple of days in my itinerary, and the most logical thing time-wise seems to be to cut Sapa.

Is there much of a difference between Sapa and Dalat? Both are in the highlands, and the Easy Rider tour will take me through some minority tribe areas. Can anyone tell me what I would be missing out on if I cut Sapa from the trip?

#1 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/10/2009 at 20:23 admin

They're very different places. While both elevated, Sapa is at a far higher elevation. The attraction in the latter is trekking and day walks, where you visit minority villages etc, while in Da Lat it is more visiting more contrived attractions. The upside of Da Lat is the motorbike trips that let you take in more of the countryside.

If I had to pick one over the other it would be Sapa -- where else are you going, perhaps can cut some time elsewhere so you can see both?

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Rohan on 17/10/2009 at 06:17

Thanks Sontam.

It's not so much a choice between Sapa and Dalat as between Sapa and the extended Easy Rider trip down to Saigon. Sounds like Sapa with a day trip out of Dalat is the way to go.

#3 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by dan567 on 17/10/2009 at 12:55

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've just done a bike tour from DaLat to Nha Trang. Whilst I would say its a great experience I must admit at times it felt just like any other tour from a major city. Lots of commision based stops and poor accommodation. I got to play football with some locals and meet the guides family which was good.

From what I hear Sapa is currently in close season though as they've just had harvest?

If you like motorbikes take the dalat route, if your not fussed flip a coin

#4 dan567 has been a member since 23/8/2009. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.