Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa vs Dalat

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

I will be headed to Vietnam in January, and at this stage I am looking at a couple of days in Sapa and a couple of days in Dalat (among other things). I have read some good things about the Easy Rider tours out of Dalat and am thinking about taking one from Dalat to Saigon. However, this will mean I need to find an extra couple of days in my itinerary, and the most logical thing time-wise seems to be to cut Sapa.

Is there much of a difference between Sapa and Dalat? Both are in the highlands, and the Easy Rider tour will take me through some minority tribe areas. Can anyone tell me what I would be missing out on if I cut Sapa from the trip?

#1 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 17:47

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

They're very different places. While both elevated, Sapa is at a far higher elevation. The attraction in the latter is trekking and day walks, where you visit minority villages etc, while in Da Lat it is more visiting more contrived attractions. The upside of Da Lat is the motorbike trips that let you take in more of the countryside.

If I had to pick one over the other it would be Sapa -- where else are you going, perhaps can cut some time elsewhere so you can see both?

#2 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 20:23

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Thanks Sontam.

It's not so much a choice between Sapa and Dalat as between Sapa and the extended Easy Rider trip down to Saigon. Sounds like Sapa with a day trip out of Dalat is the way to go.

#3 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 06:17

• dan567

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've just done a bike tour from DaLat to Nha Trang. Whilst I would say its a great experience I must admit at times it felt just like any other tour from a major city. Lots of commision based stops and poor accommodation. I got to play football with some locals and meet the guides family which was good.

From what I hear Sapa is currently in close season though as they've just had harvest?

If you like motorbikes take the dalat route, if your not fussed flip a coin

#4 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 12:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.