Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam 10 day Itinery advice appreciated !

• squae

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Hello,

Leaving to go to Vietnam in 4 weeks. will be there for 10 FULL days (12 in total), hence not long at all and hence help would really be great.

I am also travelling to Cambodia and Thailand the interstae flights are already booked. The country break up is.
    12 days Vietnam
    4 days Cambodia
    14 days Thailand

My current thailand itinery is,

Arrive 9.40pm in HCMC

Day 1 - HCMC
    Day 2 - HCMC & hopefully CuChi tunnels.
    (6pm-9.30pm, Plane from HCMC to Danang, then train to Hanoi)
    Day 3 - Hoi An
    Day 4 - Hoi An
    Day 5 - Hoi An to Hue
    (12pm - 3pm train)
    Day 6 - Hue
    Day 7 - Hue to Hanoi
    (1pm - 7.30pm, Train from Hue to danang, plane to Hanoi
    Day 8 - Hanoi
    Day 9 - Hanoi
    Day 10 - Hanoi

Depart 9am for Cambodia Phnom Penh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I like temples and culture. I culled Ha Long Bay as i just didnt think I had time for it (due to it being so far from Hanoi. In particular I am not sure If I have enough time in HCMC or in Hue.

I am going to write up a itinery for both Thailand and Cambodia as well. Thanks heaps for any help.

#1 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 05:41

• Advertisement

• squae

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Anyone got any advice on the itinery, is it any good? Anyone got any thing they would swap?

#2 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 03:06

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Seems very rushed. I'd cut out one place. Hue needs time to enjoy I think and HCMC and Hanoi both have so much to offer. You are spending all your HCMC time in Cu Chi, and may have trouble getting back in time for the plane (you must be checked in at least half an hour before the plane leaves). Perhaps you can go into Hanoi and out of Danang and miss HCMC altogether? (there used to be a flight from Danang to Siem Reap but perhaps no longer)

Also if you are only in Cambodia for 4 nights I'd be inclined to spend them all in Siem Reap.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 08:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmmm, I'd be inclined to cut Hue totally and then add in Ha Long Bay -- even if you do just a one night trip, it is worth seeing (moreso than Hue imo).

Agree also that it will be tight to get that flight after seeing Cuchi -- I'd definetely mention that to the tour operator to make sure they'll get you to the airport in time.

#4 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 14:16

• squae

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Once again great input, thanks to all !!!

I am thinking of maybe cutting Cuchi. This way I get another half a day in HCMC (considering this will give me 2 full days instead of 1.5 in HCMC) and also make it I am not worried about missing the plane.

In regards to Hue that really chucks a spanner in the works, I had really wanted to see the imperial citadel, BUT, maybve I will leave it and go to Ha Long instead.

What do people think is that the better option?, otherwise maybe I just do 1 day in Hue, and try squeeze in Halong bay?

#5 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 11:10

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Hue is my favourite place in Vietnam, but 1 day will be really wasted. It's not enough to do anything and will just give you aggravation I think. The backpacker area I find noisy and not so pleasant these days. Hue is, I think, somewhere that requires time to get to see properly. I wouldn't be adding anything to your already very tight itinerary; you could end up seeing nothing. I think you'd be better to go to just a few places and see them properly, then come back another day.

#6 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 17:48

• squae

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009

Hey guys,

After the great input I am pretty happy with this itinery (the big loser here is Hue BUT its a good reason to come back!)

Arrive 9.40pm in HCMC

Day 1 - HCMC
    Day 2 - HCMC to Hanoi (6pm-9.30pm, Plane from HCMC to Danang, then train to Hanoi)
    Day 3 - Hoi An
    Day 4 - Hoi An
    Day 5 - Hoi An to Hanoi (6.00pm - 8.30pm, bus From Hoi An, plane to Hanoi)
    Day 6 - Hanoi
    Day 7 - Hanoi
    Day 8 - Hanoi
    Day 9 - Hanoi to Halong Bay (2 day Halong bay tour, depart Hanoi by bus or tour transfer at approx. 8am)
    Day 10 - Halong Bay to Hanoi (arrive at Hanoi at approx. 4pm)

The only thing I am a bit unsure of is, IF the tour from Halong bay doesnt include transfers from Hanoi, how am I best getting there and back again, thinking I have to be at Halong Bay wharf before 12, and have to get back to Hanoi the following afternoon. I have looked through different threads and googled up things but cant find this out yet ?

#7 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 11:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The tours include all transfers our to Ha Long Bay so you should be fine.

#8 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 13:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia 5 day Itinery advice appreciated! ... By squae on 18 Oct 2009 25 7106 28 Oct 2009
Thailand 13 day Itinery advice appreciated ... By squae on 18 Oct 2009 12 2339 22 Oct 2009
Itinery advice please!! ... By michien on 13 Jan 2013 0 472 13 Jan 2013
itinery advice ... By aim88 on 27 Oct 2013 6 785 4 Nov 2013
1st trip...comments/advice on itinery please =) ... By effi_kiki on 24 Oct 2009 7 2394 10 Nov 2009
HELP!! Itinery advice (3 weeks Indochina) ... By emsylee on 19 Jul 2007 1 3101 20 Jul 2007