Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Time to travel from HCMC to Chau Doc (nonstop)

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi,

I'm looking to catch a boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh. How long would it take me (fastest and cheapest) to get there?

And from Chau Doc, are there any night boats to Seam Reap?

Also, is it at all possible to rent a motorbike to go from HCMC to Phnom Penh?

Hope my questions aren't too silly, thanks.

#1 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 17:59

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

cuffedbloke,

A bit silly, but I've seen worse ;-)

1) Speedboat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh takes about half a day (depending on any delays at the border.

2) No. Boat leaves from Phnom Penh in the morning to Siem Reap -- again it takes most of the day.

3) On a rental no. You need to own the motorbike and have a passport for it etc.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 18:07

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hey Somtam, thanks for the really quick reply and info (I guess you're not alseep) - it's very helpful. I forgot to mention I need info on getting from HCMC to Chau Doc (nonstop) also. And would you know which boat company is reliable, again (cheapest, fastest)?

Lastly, due to a very tight schedule I'll have to skip Seam Reap and go straight from PP to either Pattaya, or Bangkok. Would you:

1. Have another place to recommend between PP and Bangkok to go for like a day or half a day without having to detour off?

2. How what's the fastest way to either Pattaya/Bangkok from PP?

Thanks so much. This website must be one of the most useful in the world in terms of the value of info we can get.

#3 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 18:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Grab the bus from Saigon to Chau Doc -- figure 6-7 hours give or take. BUT, unless you're sold on doing the boat, you can get a direct bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh via a different border crossing -- it is faster and no need to take the boat.

For PP to Bangkok, if you're in a rush fly -- look into Airasia flights from PP to Bangers and then if Pattaya is end destination there is a bus from airport to there.

If you're going to overland, Battambang or Siem Reap is the obvious stop over -- SR easier, and now, faster.

Overland, Phnom Penh to Bangkok is fastest now via Siem Reap, because the road to the border is sealed all the way now. When the road was still crap, via Battambang/Pailin was faster (quickest I did it was 18 hours and I've done it at least a dozen times), but now SR is the way to go.

Almost to bed here, more silly questions answered in the am!

#4 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 18:41

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hey Somtan,thanks again. More and more useful info. Ok, just wanna know if Chau Doc is worth the trip then since it's a little out of the way. I've never traveled far by boat and don't mind if it's a nice journey. I know it's a subjective question, but if Chau Doc's nice I may spend a night there; or has Phnom Penh more stuff to see? I'm really more into rich experiences (crazy bus rides, unique cultures, insane people, unbelievable sights etc.) rather than the standard touristy fare.

#5 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 19:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well Phnom Penh has a lot more "to offer" than Chau Doc . Chau Doc is a nice enough place, but anything more than a couple of nights would be oodles.

It is a very scenic boat trip though (between the two) and beats a boring bustrip hands down.

If you've got the time, I'd overland from Saigon to Chau Doc, then boat to Phnom Penh.

#6 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 14:02

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

Hi,

We did the boat tour between PP and Chau Doc (in the opposite direction) in January. It's a nice trip and defenitely much better than sitting on a bus. Also gave Chau Doc a whole day which I think is worth the time if your not in a hurry. From there you can go on a boat trip on the river around the area to see the floating villages, fish farms and minority villages. Just go down to the river and somebody (normaly a lady) will offer to row you around in a small boat.

Enjoy your trip

#7 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 17:03

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi Somtan and Krisim, thanks much for the advice and info. This is my crazy itinerary, perhaps it would give a better idea.

8th - mid afternoon arrive in HCMC.
    9th - morning Chu Ci tunnels.
    9th - afternoon make way to Chau Doc and stay a night.
    10th - take boat to PP, stay 2 nights
    11th night - take night bus/train/boat to BKK
    12th morning - Arrive in BKK
    13th morning - Fly out of BKK

Please perform a sanity check for me as it's my first time in Vietnam and Cambodia. Lastly, any accommodation recommendations (quiet, USD15-20 per night for double, aircond, clean)? Thanks so much guys.

#8 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 21:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not sure you'll be able to get a bus late in the afternoon to Chau Doc -- would say highly unlikely, so you're going to get a bonus night in Saigon I reckon.

There isn't really night transport from PP through to Bangkok (or not that I know of anyway) That said, if you leave PP at the crack of dawn, you can be in Bangkok late afternoon.

Yeah, it's pretty nuts!

For accommodation suggestions, see the accom listings for each town in Travelfish -- lots to choose from.

#9 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 08:43

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Ok Somtom, I've revised it based on your info. Does this look "saner"?

8th - mid afternoon arrive in HCMC.
    9th - morning make way to Chau Doc and stay a night
    10th - morning take boat to PP
    10th - Stay 2 nights in PP
    12th morning - take bus to BKK
    13th morning - Fly out of BKK
    13th Morning - Arrive in Phuket (or surrounding island/s)
    15th afternoon - Fly back to KL

Also need help on transportation (departure point, reliable operator and rates) for:

1. Bus from HCMC to Chau Doc
    2. Boat from Chau Doc to PP
    3. Bus from PP to BKK

Thanks again Somtam, think I'm almost there. By the way, any way I could get a discount for the nice t-shirt? I already bought some guides so perhaps a purchase-with-purchase???

#10 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 10:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, looks better.

Bus from Saigon to Chau Doc goes from Mien Tay bus station, or ask after one of the tour companies in Saigon, they may be able to stick you on a minibus out to there.

Boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh takes 4-5 hours (depending on delays - if any - at the border). The pier the boat leaves from is central and any many and his dog will be able to sell you a ticket/point you in the right direction.

Phnom Penh to Bangkok: Early morning bus to Siem Reap , then share taxi to the border at Poipet then bus or train to Bangkok. The Siem Reap to Bangkok bit is well covered in this story: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

Or, Phnom Penh Sorya and Mekong Express run a direct bus service from PP to Bangkok (takes around 15-17 hours and you change buses at the border. That could be simpler.

A discount! What kinda street-market bargaining scene do you think this is?! :-)

Ok, we'll credit you back the cost of the guides you bought against a tshirt -- depending on where you live it works out at about 50% off -- sound fair? Mrs Travelfish says you have to wear the tshirt every day!

If that sounds good, just buy the tshirt like normal and I'll credit back the guide amount via PayPal.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 11:40

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

This looks way too crowded for me. If I read you right the most time you will spend in any place is 1 day. Why not base yourself in HCMC see a bit of the city, a couple of days travel through the Meekong, a couple of days on Phu Quoc or maybe Ha Tien for beach and fly back to HCMC.

You wont see PP or Phuket but will still get Big City, River life, temples and beach.

#12 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 14:21

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi KazAussie, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately because of cost I went ahead and bought air tickets from BKK to Phuket (13th morning), and also from Phulet to KL (15th afternoon). So with the inertia I am pushed towards Phuket inevitably. Think I'll have to go back some day to do a longer trip in Vietnam. Thanks anyway, appreciate it.

#13 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 15:04

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Somtam, you're awesome man! I am going through the guides now and I noticed that it lists both Mien Dong and Minh Tay as having buses to Chau Doc 24/7 (from MD) and until midnight (from MT). Is this true? Thanks.

Ok, now I get a better idea. If I go according to what you say and the overnight buses to Chau Doc are as stated, here's a revised itinerary:

8th - mid afternoon arrive in HCMC and stay a night
    9th - at night take an overnight bus to Chau Doc
    10th - early morning arrival at Chau Doc, tour a little then take a boat to PP
    10th - Stay 2 nights in PP
    11th night - take overnight (17 hour ride) bus to BKK straight from PP
    12th afternoon - arrive in BKK and stay 1 night
    13th morning - Arrive in Phuket (or surrounding island/s)

Thanks so much for the discount, backpackers must bargain you know???

#14 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 16:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

On Minh Tay Mien Dong that was the case when our researcher did the update (about a year ago) not sure if things have changed since.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 06:43

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Thanks Somtam. By the way, I'm in KL, how long will the t-shirt take to arrive? I had "trouble" paying for it, not sure why, Pay pal was asking for some approval code which I have to wait for in my next statement. Any other way to pay for it directly like I did the guides?

I think you've also forgotten to list delivery estimations on the t-shirt page - can't find one anywhere. Actual pictures (with real-life models) would help you out greatly I believe. =)

#16 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 06:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just sent you an email on this.

#17 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 07:09

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi Somtam,

Need some more info on accommodation. The prices listed in the Travelfish guides are for per pax, or for the entire room for a night's stay? When I use some online booking sites they seem to charge by the head count. Thanks.

Johann

#18 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 12:06

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Somtam, need another sanity check on itinerary and also traveling times.

7th - mid afternoon arrive in HCMC and stay 1 night
    8th - late afternoon take a bus to Can Tho (4.5 hours) and stay a night
    9th – very early morning boat tour then take a bus to Chau Doc (3 hours) in late afternoon and stay 1 night on floating home
    10th – very early morning boat tour then take early afternoon boat to PP (7 hours) and stay 1 night
    11th night - take overnight (17 hours) bus to BKK straight from PP
    12th - early afternoon arrive in BKK and stay 1 night
    13th morning - Arrive in Phuket and stay 2 nights

#19 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 12:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Prices in the guides are for the room, not per person (unless a dorm is listed, in which case it is by bed).

Itinerary is probably your sanest so far ;-)

#20 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 13:08

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Thanks again Somtam, got it.

#21 Posted: 23/10/2009 - 13:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chau Doc - Can Tho - HCMC ... By linjingyi on 28 Oct 2009 1 2846 29 Oct 2009