Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc or Shinoukville?

• candyman

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

I'm looking at going to Phu Quoc island for a couple of days on a quick trip thru Vietnam and Cambodia--is it worth it or should I go to Shinoukville instead? How do the beaches compare?

I've spent a couple days in Shinoukville before so I know what it's like. I'm mainly interested in relaxing, swimming, going scuba diving (nothing fancy, maybe one or two dives), and maybe some hiking.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 01:00

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Having been to Shinoukville but not Phu Quoc, I'd say try Phu Quoc.

I wasn't impressed by Snookyville's beaches or the city. It's one of those places that could be anywhere in the world (i.e. nothing uniquely Cambodian or even just unique about it).

There's also Cambodia's Rabbit Island...

#2 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 09:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd definetely go for Phu Quoc Island over Sanookyville.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 14:18

• hanna

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

Hi!

If you want calmness i would recommend Phu Quoc, i just stayed there for three months, fantastic. Sinoukville is little more party and the beaches is not that great. On Phu Quoc you can stay on Long Beach or Bai sao that is beutiful but little bit hetic with vietnamese tourists sometimes, the north is more calm and less touristic. I would recommend that you rent a bike and look around. There are cheaper places in town. In the high season it seems to be quit booked up, maybe book something now.

It depense how much you want to spend but Mango bay is really nice. Bo resort is also of the tourists areas in north east side. Place's on Long Beach thats nice is: Mai spa, Kim nam phuong, further down is Nhat Lan( the place with most backpackers,middle price)Beach club. Then The dog bar is the nice hangout place and Ms Wing's resturant down on Long Beach is a great place with a view over the sea, say hello to Wing from Hanna and Erik/Sweden
    All the guesthouses are listed downhere.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/phu_quoc_island/all

Hope that this helps you. We are opening a cafe on Phu Quoc next year maybe see you there.

#4 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 03:50

• RayIV

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009

Hanna and Erik

Please send me a email to Joakim.nanneson "snabel a" gmail.com
    AlltsÄ förnamn.efternam@gmail.com
    I have some questions in Swedish...

#5 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 15:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.