Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

What clothes to pack - formal clothing necessary?

• c1ee

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi all,

I'm going on a trip to Vietnam in two weeks time. In my trip I plan on doing a lot of riding around on a motorbike, and also partying. I will be in Saigon, and will be riding all the way up to Hanoi.

I'm now trying to decide what clothes to pack. Should I bother taking my jeans? I would like to experience the night life, but does that mean I need to bring collar shirts, leather shoes, and maybe a jacket too? I'm going to be carrying a 65litre backpack, btw.

This is my first time travelling like this, so I'm a bit confused as to what I should/shouldn't be packing. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

You won't need any formal clothes. I usually take 3 pairs of light pants and 4 shirts and wash them often.I take a pair of sandals and a pair of walking shoes. You might need something warmer in the north at this time of year; a polo fleece jacket is light. Try to keep your luggage as minimal as possible; you will not want to carry a whole bunch of spare unused things.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 07:18

• KCsaffas

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2009

Agree with previous answer. Travel as light as possible. Vietnam is cooler than Thailand, and maybe one pair of jeans or chinos is not a bad idea. Probably the pair that you arrive in by plane. Daytime is generally shorts/cargo pants. One fleece/sweat shirt also good idea for north.

#3 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 17:29

• c1ee

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks for your tips.

Regarding the chilly north, I'm thinking I can just buy a cheap jacket from Hanoi when I get there. Shouldn't be too difficult right?

#4 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 20:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'd pack one pair of slacks and dress shoes. Remember most of these guys here are slumming it. If you want to do anything high end you don't want to be under-dressed.

#5 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 23:28

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

would i be able to find a nice pair of nike sneakers in bangkok(say khao san rd)and what would i expect to pay, here in the states they run anywhere between 40-150$

#6 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 03:48

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

"these guys here are slumming it"! Speak for yourself.

I've been to the opera in my travel clothes. You don't need to travel in your daggiest stuff. I think dress shoes is really an unnecessary burden.

#7 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 07:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How much clothing to pack! ... By benhopes on 5 Jul 2009 108 59410 13 May 2014