Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Can Tho-Chau Doc-Phnom Penh??

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Need some advice here:

I'm staying for only a night at Can Tho (will arrive on the evening of 8th Nov) and will do a very early morning boat cruise to the surrounding areas the next day. After that I plan to take the fastest bus to Chau Doc (then stay a night on a floating hotel). The next day I plan to take a speed boat to Phnom Penh.

Questions:
    1. Should I spend time at Chau Doc since I've already done Can Tho?

2. How much is the speed and slow boat ticket to Phnom Penh? I understand it takes about 5 hours in total including about an hour's formalities at the border?

3. Am I correct that it's possible to take a slow boat from Chau Doc, overnight at the Vietnam-Cambodia border, then make the journey to PP the next morning? If yes, is it recommended, and if yes, where should I stay? Is there a company which arranges the boat and stay?

Thanks a bunch!

#1 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 12:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not sure if there is a regular boat service from Can Tho to Chau Doc -- you may end up on the bus (which will be quicker anyway).

I've not heard of the two day boat trip thing -- perhaps as an organised tour that is possible -- where did you read about it?

Border formalities depend a lot on how many people are on the boat etc -- a fast transition may be just 15 minutes -- slow can be a couple of hours.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 16:09

• grenny

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

did something similar back in may. arrived in can tho in the afternoon, went and spent a good 4-5 hours on the river early the next morning then got a bus about lunchtime to chau doc. spent the night there and got the boat the next morning.

obviously we weren't in chau doc for even 24hrs but at no stage were we rushed. would of been nice to stay there an extra night but in hindsight if we had an extra night throughout the trip it would of been spent staying in phnom penh longer.

hired motorbikes and went for a ride round sam mountain and the temples that surround it. was a very good and relaxing way to end our time in vietnam.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 17:06

• grenny

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

sorry, forgot to add that boat took about 5hrs inc. the borders and cost somewhere between USD20-25

and didn't hear anything whilst there about a slow boat that stopped at the border overnight

#4 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 17:08

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Thanks guys, very helpful. Not sure where I got the border-stay info from, perhaps I got confused (reading too many sites!).

Somtam, I remember reading somewhere that you visited the Sam Mountains also, just like Grenny. If I only have half a day is it possible to rent a motorbike to go there? And is yes, how much would it cost?

By the way, PayPal officially sucks (perhaps it's only for Malaysians, not sure). Still can't pay for the t-shirt. What a bummer.

Any recommendations for the floating hotel stay at Chau Doc? Somewhere clean and around USD15-20 (per room) is ok for me.

#5 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 18:09

• cuffedbloke

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Any idea if there are speedboats departing Chau Doc for PP mid afternoon, or at least after lunch? Otherwise would you recommend I take the early slow boat (10 hours I gather) which seems like a mini tour of sorts in itself (and is the price of USD14 correct for this slow boat?)? Thanks!

#6 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 21:48

• maryamosmond

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2012

Hello there Cuffedbloke,
    im doing my research and i plan to do exactly what you typed here. what a coincidence! Anw, did you get to go as planned? I hv some questions: (i hope you don't mind)

What bus/how much/what time from Can Tho to Chau Doc ?

What cheapest mode of accommodation in Chau Doc? how much?

What ferry or bus/how much/what time from Chau Doc to PP?

too much reading is getting me confused with the timing, prices etc. thanks for your help! :D

#7 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 05:39

• Anna2121

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2012

Hello maryamosmond and Cuffedbloke.
    I am also looking for th speed boat doing Can Tho - Phnom Penh (or at least Can Tho - Chau Doc).I would like to do the all trip (Can Tho - PP) in one day (no overnight at Chau Doc).
    Did you get any information about that? Is it possible? What is the price?
    How long does it take? When does the boat leave and arrive?
    I failed to find information... I am getting very confused as well as of the existence of such boat.... Thank you for your help!!!

#8 Posted: 7/6/2012 - 22:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rach Gia to Chau Doc to Phnom Penh ... By jodymm on 4 Dec 2007 7 7569 20 Jan 2008
Chau Doc to Phnom Penh by Boat ... By ron67 on 21 Dec 2007 8 23611 3 Nov 2012
MEKONG 03 DAYS + PHNOM PENH (BEN TRE - CAN THO - CHAU DOC) ... By taffyted72 on 23 Jul 2011 7 4115 18 Sep 2011
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 419 2 Mar 2014