Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Overnight trains - Hanoi to HCM

• emma066

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

I want to do the above and travel in a soft berth. I cannot for the life of my find prices anywhere. Does anyone know the rough cost to get from North to South on overnight sleepers?

Alternatively, thinking of travelling Hanoi to Hoi An area overnight then Hoi An area to HCM with a few stops on the way?

Any idea of prices in USD/GBP?

Finally, is it a good way to travel if you have about 3-4 weeks in VN?

Thanks,
    Emma

#1 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 20:37

• Advertisement

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Check out the below website, I think you can find timetables and prices there

www.seat61.com

#2 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 22:27

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Train is a great way to travel. It will take you much closer to the city than planes and is safer and more comfortable than buses. It costs the same whether you do one long trip or many short trips. Sitting in a soft seat is comfortable and I have done overnight trips that way when I couldn't book a soft sleeper (they provide you with a blanket- and noodles for breakfast), though I find hard sleepers, with 6 in a cabin, cramped. There is hot water at the end of the carriage and carts of food and drink coming through the train regularly. If you're booked at the right hours you also get meals, but they eat early.

vr.com.vn gives fares and timetables but doesn't seem to be available in English anymore.

#3 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 09:39

• mic2

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

better yet go to the train station and check for yourself the prices and schedules...that if you want to avoid getting charge additional few bucks for travel agency arrangement. The travel agency would prolly charge additional $10 to $20 bucks if you let them handle that but if you want to get rid of that, check online as recommended by others here and then go buy tickets directly to the train station...

#4 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 10:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.